Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyoscyaminehas anyone heard of it ? If so, any comments? Im picking it up today..im a little skeptical about it.. i wonder if this means i can start eating whatever i want now? hopefully it'll work *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's brand name is Levsin and I was prescribed it too. It's an antispasomatic and it's supposed to slow down the bowels. I didn't find it to be very effective but it's worth a try to see if it works for you. I recently was prescribed daily double dosages of Effexor and Librax on an as need basis. Haven't tried the Librax yet but the Effexor may be working. I've also been taking Beano with meals and my bowels have slowed down alot!

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's brand name is Levsin and I was prescribed it too. It's an antispasomatic and it's supposed to slow down the bowels. I didn't find it to be very effective but it's worth a try to see if it works for you. I recently was prescribed daily double dosages of Effexor and Librax on an as need basis. Haven't tried the Librax yet but the Effexor may be working. I've also been taking Beano with meals and my bowels have slowed down alot!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will it be a battle bt the bowels and anxiety ? cuz anxiety triggers it real easily..i hope it works

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will it be a battle bt the bowels and anxiety ? cuz anxiety triggers it real easily..i hope it works

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It isn't so much for anxiety.It is an antispasmodic, so should cut down on pain levels for at least some people.If you get pain after meals (or diarrhea) try taking it 20-30 minutes before a meal. That seems to work best for a lot of people.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It isn't so much for anxiety.It is an antispasmodic, so should cut down on pain levels for at least some people.If you get pain after meals (or diarrhea) try taking it 20-30 minutes before a meal. That seems to work best for a lot of people.K.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but does that mean that i can eat whatever i want and it wont irritate me ? ..i can start eating pizza again????
please say yes lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but does that mean that i can eat whatever i want and it wont irritate me ? ..i can start eating pizza again????
please say yes lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
I didn't find that this medication did much for me either. It can be called Levsin, NuLev, or Levbid--depending on how it is taken. I cannot remember which is which but one is sublingual, one you can swallow and one dissolves on your tongue. I have tried them all and none of them did anything for me. They seemed to work at first but it was like the placebo effect because I really wanted to them to work.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I didn't find that this medication did much for me either. It can be called Levsin, NuLev, or Levbid--depending on how it is taken. I cannot remember which is which but one is sublingual, one you can swallow and one dissolves on your tongue. I have tried them all and none of them did anything for me. They seemed to work at first but it was like the placebo effect because I really wanted to them to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been taking it for 2 days now, just got diagnosed. The food issue is still the same, I had pizza last night and paid for it severely. I started on Elavil as well, so those two together, along with a "safe" diet hopefull will make this aspect of my life manageable. I hope that the med works for you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been taking it for 2 days now, just got diagnosed. The food issue is still the same, I had pizza last night and paid for it severely. I started on Elavil as well, so those two together, along with a "safe" diet hopefull will make this aspect of my life manageable. I hope that the med works for you!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I take Levsin SL 2 times a day...before breakfast and before supper. I eat yogurt with acidophyllis in it with my lunch. I try to eat a little something about every 4 hours, I do better. Not eating seems to make the IBS worse. Anyway, I have been doing this for about a month or so, and have not had any D! (I was having D every day, 5-10 times a day.) The pain and cramping is pretty much gone. I do have occasional gas, but it is mild, and I can deal with that. I have had to eliminate things from my diet as well, like red meat, fresh veggies, fried food, milk and milk products, except for yogurt, and had to cut way back on coffee. The coffee was the roughest....had headaches for over a week after I cut down, but I feel so much better now!I would give the levsin a try...you won't know if it works for you or not if you don't try it. My pain and cramping stopped with the first dose I took of the Levsin. Just make sure you take it before meals.Good Luck!MJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
I take Levsin SL 2 times a day...before breakfast and before supper. I eat yogurt with acidophyllis in it with my lunch. I try to eat a little something about every 4 hours, I do better. Not eating seems to make the IBS worse. Anyway, I have been doing this for about a month or so, and have not had any D! (I was having D every day, 5-10 times a day.) The pain and cramping is pretty much gone. I do have occasional gas, but it is mild, and I can deal with that. I have had to eliminate things from my diet as well, like red meat, fresh veggies, fried food, milk and milk products, except for yogurt, and had to cut way back on coffee. The coffee was the roughest....had headaches for over a week after I cut down, but I feel so much better now!I would give the levsin a try...you won't know if it works for you or not if you don't try it. My pain and cramping stopped with the first dose I took of the Levsin. Just make sure you take it before meals.Good Luck!MJ

·
Registered
686 Posts
ive never had any of the medication mentioned ,all ive ever had is merbentyl, cuprinol and buscopan which im currently taking, i find that they do help the spasms but they dont stop them coming, i think different countries have different kinds of medication.. good luck rose

1 - 20 of 21 Posts