Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Doctor put me on Buspar and Ativan, any feedback

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  jason haberland 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone, I just wanted to wish everyone a happy New year. I was on Bentyl, then Levsin and it did absolutely nothing to help me. I read alot of posts on this board and started to think that maybe my D was a result of anxiety. I went to the doctor and got put on Buspar and Ativan. Anyone have any feedback on these meds, could they help my D problem?

#5 ·
Hi sage1979 - Happy New year to you too! I suffer from anxiety induced IBS D. And YES I use Buspar and LOVE IT I take 40mg a day 2 pills in the am and two in the pm. I also use Donnatal extend tabs an antispasmodic to calm my tummy. My D and anxiety is under control most of the time. Buspar is a very mild seditive that does NOT make your tired like antidepressants do. Buspar and Donnatal have given me my life back! My doctor only increased my Buspar in 5mg increments at two week at a time. It took time to find the right dose but it is SOOOOO worth it.You can e-mail me if you have any questions Take Care,Robin---------------------------My Story http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=17;t=000155

#6 ·
Green, thanks so much for the advice! I hope I have the same results with Buspar as you have. I'm on day two, i hope that by taking it my stomach will be calmer and I won't have as much D problems. I really believe that anxiety is a major cause of my D. I was also put on Ativan but i don't know too much about that stuff. Thanks Robin for your help

#10 ·
I can't tell you about what it's like to take Ativan on a day-to-day basis, but I can tell you that I love this medication. I take Ativan when I'm in the most pain and need to be sedated because I can't combine sedatives with my Elavil. It requires a 4 mg dose to put me down, but it does the job effectively without causing any nausea to speak of. In fact, it's also prescribed to chemo patients to help with nausea. I hope everything works out for you.

#11 ·
Thanks alot Christy for the advice! I'm on half a pill two times a day of Buspar and then one pill of Ativan at night to help me sleep. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but my IBS is really better. I'm praying it stays like this and it's all anxiety related.Thanks for your advice and feedback

#13 ·
Just wanted to update everyone on my progess! I continue to keep my fingers crossed! I'm really starting to believe that anxiety plays a major role in my IBS- D, since I've been on these meds I have to go in the morning and then after I take these pills I'm alot more calmer and I have no stomach cramps at all. I have eaten onion soup, fajitas and a bunch of other "trigger foods" and felt great after the last two weeks. I really believe these drugs calm me down and decreases the anxiety that "triggers" my IBS! Thanks for listening

#17 ·
Thanks Faust, I'm still in the early stages, i'm only taking Immodium one day a week now and that's because of an office meeting and I have to be totally "D" free on that day. I have noticed some improvemnt but I had great results with Calcium for the first 2 months and then that didn't work. How has Xanax helped you? I'm up to 1 pill 2 times a day of Buspar and up to 3 if needed Ativans a day. This is my second week and I'm finding the icreased dosege of Buspar is making me really loopy and dizzy. How does Xanax help your IBS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.