Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m seeing my primary doctor tomorrow but I’m not sure if she can help me. I see gi in 6 weeks but I really need something to be done about my bowel problems before then and I don’t know how to communicate that. The oral laxatives do nothing I can only have a bm with dulcolax suppository or an enema. I’m laying down in my car at work with cramps again. When I get home I’m going to do a dulcolax suppository and see if a bm will relieve the pain.

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
maybe you can get put on a cancellation list for the gastro doc. and yes, just tell your primary what's going on---that oral laxatives do nothing and the only way you can have a bm is to have a dulcolax suppository or an enema.

yes do hope the dulcolax suppository will help when you get home.. good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The appointment went well. My doctor listened when I explained I need an enema or a dulcolax suppository to have a bm. She thinks my insurance will cover linzess now that I have failed several treatments and says I can keep doing the suppositories to try and avoid getting too backed up while I wait. She had some diet advice buts it’s all stuff I had already tried. Hopefully linzess is effective for me.

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
thanks for the update.. so glad to hear that your doctor listened to you and understood. and yes i do hope that your insurance will cover linzess now. and that linzess works for you. the only way i could get linzess to work for me was to take it with food instead of before eating, as recommended. but that's me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gi just called and they have to move my appointment to January. I’m really hoping my primary can continue working with me on managing this until I can get in to see gi in January. I’m really discouraged.

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
oh no--so sorry! hopefully you're on a cancellation list and you can get in earlier. often i get lucky with cancellation lists. and yes, i'm sure your primary can continue working with you til you see your gastro doc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I’m still waiting on insurance to approve linzess. Fingers crossed that they do it soon and that it works. I had a rough day with cramps but going to do a suppository and see if that will relieve the pain. My primary says that until the linzess is approved I can do a suppository daily if I need to, and they definitely help but I don’t think I get it all out when I go with a suppository. I’m also really gassy these last few days which is both painful and embarrassing. The gas gives me more cramps and I can’t stop passing gas even when others are around and it smells pretty bad. Nobody says anything but I’m sure they notice. My primary said to keep doing lactulose but I don’t think it helps me go. I have a lot of nausea and no appetite and I’m losing weight but my primary says we need to get the constipation under control first and see if that is a contributing factor before trying to treat the nausea.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The appointment went well. My doctor listened when I explained I need an enema or a dulcolax suppository to have a bm. She thinks my insurance will cover linzess now that I have failed several treatments and says I can keep doing the suppositories to try and avoid getting too backed up while I wait. She had some diet advice buts it’s all stuff I had already tried. Hopefully linzess is effective for me.
What diet advice did your doctor give you that you already tried?

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
everyone's different but no way could i handle high fiber. i know doctors love to recommend it but my colon was moving very slowly as it was and all that fiber just slowed it down all the more. i found i did much better on a diet low in fiber.. but that's me.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
everyone's different but no way could i handle high fiber. i know doctors love to recommend it but my colon was moving very slowly as it was and all that fiber just slowed it down all the more. i found i did much better on a diet low in fiber.. but that's me.
Me too. I wish it were that easy.

Most doctors will tell their patients that are constipated to eat more fiber, but for the majority of us here? More fiber (either soluble or insoluble fiber) = more constipation.

If eating more fiber doesn't work the best diet for a chronically constipated person is one high in meat and low in fruits & vegetables, IMHO. You can actually stop your constipation with an all-meat diet, but to me? That's too much meat... Plus I like pizza too much. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can relate… I do better on a low fiber or low residue diet. How many grams of fiber a day can you eat?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sunstar. don't lose hope! You are strong and will win the battle with your illness, I'm sure. Linzess is a nice medicine and I've read many positive reviews, so I guess it will help. If I'm not wrong it's also covered by some health insurance plans, but you should check up with your insurance or an Insurance Discovery Service, for example, https://www.eclaimstatus.com/. With the help of this company I chose the perfect plan of insurance I need with all my doctor appointments and medicines that I have to take every month, so don't hesitate to check it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts