Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm new here, mostly because I'm stubborn. Probably should have posted when this all started...okay so this is a little bit of a long story. I'm hoping (probably a long shot) that someone will know whats up with me and can suggest a path of treatment that will be more effective than what I am currently doing.
I'm 27 now, and my GI issues started almost 3 years ago. I've always had normal BMs, I would even say I was a champion pooper! Then just suddenly I stopped pooping entirely. Not just constipation, just no. pooping. I tried everything, more fiber, all the natural remedies, all the laxatives (but probably in less quantity than I should have bc I've always heard how bad they are for you). I tried that liquid magnesium citrate drink stuff and that finally worked. Another month goes by. I try the bottle of magnesium again. Nothing. Two bottles. I'm bloated and in extreme pain for 3 days. I vomit the whole time but can't eat or drink.
I somehow get myself to a doctor, but he's no help. He says "he's not worried" and says I'm just constipated. Mind you I'm miserable, feeling foggy and nauseated all the time on top of everything. He gives me no treatment, just sends me home. This was in August of 2014.
I didn't know what else to do so I just kept trying enemas and magnesium citrate, which makes me poop little pellets but nothing substantial. But "a doctor said he wasnt worried, so maybe this is my life now," I think. Plus I was finishing up college and just wanted to ignore it while I focused on that. So, so dumb, I know. I'm miserable and uncomfortable the whole time, though.
Come Christmas, my sister's fiance is going to teach us how to make sushi as a gift. I don't really enjoy eating at this point, so I decide to take a bunch of Mag Cit to try to clean me out so I can try to enjoy it. Well, it doesn't work, I'm bloated and in so much pain I can't sleep or do anything let alone celebrate Christmas. I am puking and have severe stabbing pain for a week, cant sleep or drink or obviously eat. Finally my stubborn ass goes to the ER, where they do a CT scan and admit me to the hospital. (First hospital is no help, the discharge me a day later after having done nothing, prescribing me the exact thing that landed me there in the first place). Second hospital actually listens to me, and does more scans and stuff. I am ENTIRELY packed with feces. It is absolutely disgusting and horrifying. I still shudder when I think about it.
They gave me some GoLytely, I think, or something like that. Takes almost 2 jugs until I start to go. I can tell you that I've never felt relief like that before and possibly never will again. Not just physical but mental relief! It's so scary when your body stops working.
So later I'm discharged, over the next few months they do tons of tests on me. I dont have a blockage or cancer, I dont have Hirschsprung's disease, I don't have problems with my pelvic muscles... but obviously my colon is enlarged due to the impactment. Might still be. Im not sure. Basically they just have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it. Ugh. Life lesson: real doctors are not House. They will not move time and space to diagnose you.
So since then I've been managing with Miralax, maybe a cap or two a day depending, sometimes less often, sometimes more often.
Recently I've been having a rough patch. It's never been great, or "normal" poo-ing, but lately its less often with the same amount of medicine and I'm having pain and discomfort and bloating as well. I haven't changed my diet either. I drink plenty of water and have plenty of fiber (I take a supplement).
So I guess my question is.... has this happened to anyone else, just out of the blue? I think I have a sluggish colon. What can I do to help it go back to normal? Is there no hope for that?
All the articles online that I find for constipation are like "what to do if you only poo every three days" and I'm like "LOL that's cute". I don't just go infrequently. I do not go at all. And I'm just so, so sick of it. I'm feeling really depressed lately because of it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Hi so sorry for all you are going through. living with chronic constipation can be very difficult.

did you have a sitz marker test (colonic transit study) ? this test will dx if you have colonic inertia (slow transit constipation) which it sounds to me like you do--the "sluggish colon". .

that's good that miralax helps. i was dx'd with colonic inertia. my gastro docs told me to take whatever i needed to go, which for me was a combination of osmotic and stimulant laxatives, since nothing else helped.

there are meds out there that help with chronic constipation--amitiza, linzess and soon plecanatide (trulance) will also be available.

have you experimented with taking less fiber. a lot of us on here--particularly those of us with slow transit--have found that fiber--especially insoluble fiber--is not our friend. fiber can help with constipation but only if the constipation is caused by a lack of fiber to begin with. if you colon is already sluggish and moving slowly, adding more fiber to it will just back things up all the more. i found out that i did better with a diet lower in fiber.

about doctors---often gastro docs who work at a university hospital or a motility clinic are more up-to-date, knowledgeable and proactive about treating constipation than other gastros.

or if you can afford it, you could try going to someplace like the mayo clinic, cleveland clinic etc. they should be able to get you figured out there.

good luck with everything. hope you can find some relief. take care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Flossy and Annie,
Thank you so much for your replies! It's very helpful. I didnt have a sitz marker test because I think they said something like it wasnt needed, because they already knew I had slow transit? It's been a few years so I'm not sure. I tried Linzess before my hospitalization; it didn't really work but I was also very backed up.
I guess I just needed to hear that there's no cure. My mother is insistent that there is, lol. I'll keep taking the Miralax and I'll reduce my fiber. I think that may help actually.
Thanks again for this forum! It helps so much to know that we aren't alone in this. :)

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
thanks! glad we could be of some help.
smile.png

good luck with everything. hopefully the miralax and reduced fiber will help.

and oh yes--you are sure not alone with all this. there's a lot of us here in the same boat. i used to feel the same way before i found this board....

·
Registered
1 Posts
The doctors don't know what is wrong with me and seem adamant they don't .... I have had enough of talking about my bowel habits with doctors to get the same reaction. ... Magnesium causes moisture to form in your bowels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts