Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a colonoscopy will detect things like tapeworms and other parasites? I'm just trying to find out if it's necessary to have parasite stool tests done if I'm going to have a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy I am going to have is not for parasites, but if I can kill two birds with one stone I'd be happy.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Fred, it can detect things like inflammation,or growths and I would imagine worms, but blood and specificilly stool tests pick these things up in general. Different tests have different things they pick up and all the tests as a whole can rule out a lot in the diagnoses for IBS.This IBS CME has a lot of information in all the links to it on tests and IBS and it maybe helpful to you. http://www.gastro.org/adhf/gi_ibs.html

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Fred, it can detect things like inflammation,or growths and I would imagine worms, but blood and specificilly stool tests pick these things up in general. Different tests have different things they pick up and all the tests as a whole can rule out a lot in the diagnoses for IBS.This IBS CME has a lot of information in all the links to it on tests and IBS and it maybe helpful to you. http://www.gastro.org/adhf/gi_ibs.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I suspect it depends on the size of the parasite.Certainly large worms that stay attached in the colon should be visible. Smaller parasites may not be visible and I don't know how well biopsies pick those up (you may have to luck out and get them in the right place).One of the things with stool is they can put it under a microscope and check for little thing and/or the little eggs from things.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I suspect it depends on the size of the parasite.Certainly large worms that stay attached in the colon should be visible. Smaller parasites may not be visible and I don't know how well biopsies pick those up (you may have to luck out and get them in the right place).One of the things with stool is they can put it under a microscope and check for little thing and/or the little eggs from things.K.

G

·
When a colonoscopy is done, you must evacuate your system first with something like fleet-phospho soda or something similar. If there were any live worms in your intestinal tract, most of those would come out in your stool during the prep. In the case that there were any left in the system such as tapeworms which hold on to the intestinal wall with hooks around their mouthpart (scolex) then they shoud be able to be seen on a colonoscoy. A stool sample is done to detect shedding eggs in the stool.

G

·
When a colonoscopy is done, you must evacuate your system first with something like fleet-phospho soda or something similar. If there were any live worms in your intestinal tract, most of those would come out in your stool during the prep. In the case that there were any left in the system such as tapeworms which hold on to the intestinal wall with hooks around their mouthpart (scolex) then they shoud be able to be seen on a colonoscoy. A stool sample is done to detect shedding eggs in the stool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.