Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi , I took acidophillus for a while but didn't see any improvement. i can eat yogurt so I do fairly often so then I get the calcium as well as the good bacteria. Seems more natural that way. but try it, I had no bad affects either.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yes, acidophilus has definitely helped me, but I also take enzymes.There are two posts you may want to scroll to in which acidophilus was covered pretty extensively.Both have acidophilus in the subject. The one a little farther back has more info, but both havegood info.Just scroll back a few pages. Good luck.O

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Culturelle (a brand name among many, for good bacteria) has been working for me for several years. Then again people can react differently to supplements.It is my understanding that the body may initially produce more gas with Culturelle and then gradually helps relieve this problem.It may control certain kinds of D (intestines with an overgrowth of harmful bacteria) and for me personally has controlled intestinal gas. Culturelle is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It is made to work where it belongs in the large intestines. It can withstand stomach acid (which can kill the friendly bacteria). It can be taken at any time with or without meals and is Not kept in the fridge since there is no need for this. You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It has been over 90 degrees here for weeks, so I wrote to Culturelle and asked about the drug store keeping the Culturelle on the shelves in the store, not refrigerated, as acidophilus is in most health food stores. She replied, that as long as the store temperature is between 72-70F, then she feels confident that the Culturelle is fine.She also says it is a good idea to store in the refrigerator after you bring it home from the store because "refrigeration prolongs the shelf life of all probiotic bacteria" However, one can also travel with it, which I think a great idea, and it is not absolutelynecessary to refrigerate, as it is with othermakes, because this is a hardy acidophilus.I have mine in the fridge, but will also travelwith it.O

·
Registered
467 Posts
I also take Culturelle on a daily basis. I think it has helped me, as long as I stick to my same bland diet. When I start eating foods that I know I shouldn't, than nothing helps.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been taking probiotics for several months and it has not helped me that I can see. However, I have read articles of research on probiotics in treating IBS and they seem promising, so it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I must admit I don't only take acidophilus andnever have, not sure if it would work on its own.I take Digestive Enzymes, two with my main mealand I know they make all the difference because,before them, I did have problems I don't have now and I only started taking the acidophilus later.Oh, I did take some earlier, and, I remember now, it didn't do it for me on its own. But I think they are perhaps more sophisticated now, andimproved, stronger.O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts