Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who dont know what emetophobia is... it is an extreme fear of vomiting. Due to ibs and acid reflux, i am in constant stomach pain and experience nausea almost everyday so having this fear makes me go nuts! I have lost 15 pounds over 5 months, pounds that i couldnt afford to lose since i am a petite girl to start with. Im trying to gain back the weight but its extremely hard due to the constant nausea and many times i wont eat due to the emetophobia. Its either i keep eating light or very little and keep losing weight, or i eat heavier to gain weight but be in pain and have nausea for hours. Its hard for people to understand how this fear effects my life along with my stomach problems. SO if any of you are going through the same thing.....please share your story with me. We are here to help eachother.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Nausea makes me very uneasy but no, I don't think I developed a phobia about it. Fortunately for me, about the time that reflux was becoming an issue, I found a flavonoid supplement (grape seed, skin, bilberry, gingko, etc.) that stopped it, and all associated stomach problems, for about 12 years. (At the time I began taking it, my stomach would be in pain from my first bite of food until my bedtime, every day. Reflux would happen at night, if it did not settle.) Otherwise, I suspect I would have added emetophobia to my GERD and IBS-D. Fortunately for me, the D and GERD seemed to have been linked to one common cause, which I suspect is inflammation, so I have been able to treat both conditions with the same extracts.Mark

·
Registered
708 Posts
HelloI have 2 of them but not an extreme fear of vomiting. I don't like vomiting ..who does ! If you need to eat small amounts you should be eating higher calorie and higher protein foods and ensure you are getting all the vitamins you need. for the nausea something like motilium (domperidone) might help because it speeds the emptying of your stomach which helps with nausea and it can stimulate your appetite too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree that the nausea is not fun... luckily it is rare for me but I used to have pain all the time. I used to fear the pain from eating until I was diagnosed. When I learned that the pain is not actually harming me physically, I was able to stop fearing food.... now I am most often pain free. When I do get nausea I often feel shaky too.I have been going to a dietician and a Naturopath for the last year, both have helped me manage my ibs. I am also thin and I have to always ensure that I am doing my best to maintain my weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.