Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!I am sorry if I am bothering you, but I am very curious if something like this sounds familiar to anybody. This was my day today (but it may happen with different variations):I wake up, have mild cramps. I eat something. I have a very bad stool (I try to get stuff out, but because of the constipation, I only get small pieces out (almost like a rabbit)). Then, I go to school. My stomach feels OK. I spend time with two people in a closed room working on a project. Some 3-4 hours after we start working, I want to fart, but I don't do it, of course - I keep it in. One fart only is not let out and cramping begins. It's not a real pain, but feeling of unpleasant-ness, aching, etc. I go to the washroom and and sit down. I do not have a bowel movement, but LONG, STRONG, LOUD explosions. As if my bowel is all of a sudden full of air. During the expolosions, one or, eventually, two small, small pieces of excrement come out. I feel a little better, I don't have that achy feeling anymore. BUT, soon after that I start feeling very, very tired and I kinda start aching all over. I ache under my ribs, I ache throughout my stomach. It's not very strong at all, but unpleasant. I don't feel any urge to go to the washroom, I just ache (starting maybe half an hour after those explosions)...Does anybody experience anything like this? What are those explosions all about? Why do they happen? What is this aching that comes afterwards? Thanks!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Popeye, this is a complicated thing really and in order to understand it its important to kow how digestion works first. The colon is like a tube and contractions (although there are differnt kinds) take place like a wwave down its length. In IBS these contractions can happen anywhere along its length and the are very powerful. In IBS the endorphines released from the brain don't seem to be activated like in normal people.When you hold back gas like its like your plugging up those contractions.here you can see how off the chart the contractions can be and they can happen fifteen minutes after a meal, before the food reaches the gut.The two graphs at the bottom illustrate a normal person and an IBSer. http://webpotential.com/uploadpic/

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Popeye, this is a complicated thing really and in order to understand it its important to kow how digestion works first. The colon is like a tube and contractions (although there are differnt kinds) take place like a wwave down its length. In IBS these contractions can happen anywhere along its length and the are very powerful. In IBS the endorphines released from the brain don't seem to be activated like in normal people.When you hold back gas like its like your plugging up those contractions.here you can see how off the chart the contractions can be and they can happen fifteen minutes after a meal, before the food reaches the gut.The two graphs at the bottom illustrate a normal person and an IBSer. http://webpotential.com/uploadpic/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts