Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS-D started one month after I was prescribed Prozac/Fluoxetine to treat my OCD. No IBS prior. Anybody else have the same experience ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kenny, it might be worth discussing this with your doctor. There are other kinds of antidepressants.
Prozac is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.)
It could be that the sudden shift in serotonin in your system is causing the IBS.
I suspect serotonin imbalance in some IBS cases, including my own.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kenny, it might be worth discussing this with your doctor. There are other kinds of antidepressants.
Prozac is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.)
It could be that the sudden shift in serotonin in your system is causing the IBS.
I suspect serotonin imbalance in some IBS cases, including my own.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, my IBS-D started shortly after I started taking Prozac. I have wondered the same thing.
Bingo ! May I ask how long were you on the meds and what was your dosage ? Are you still on them ? and in case you are no longer on them , did you notice any relief from symptoms when you stopped ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
@Kenny I hear you. Some doctors are not what they should be!

I wonder if you could try this: tell your doctor the meds you are on are upsetting your gut, and could you try a different type of anti depressant? Good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Kenny I hear you. Some doctors are not what they should be!

I wonder if you could try this: tell your doctor the meds you are on are upsetting your gut, and could you try a different type of anti depressant? Good luck!
Thank you !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My IBS-D started one month after I was prescribed Prozac/Fluoxetine to treat my OCD. No IBS prior. Anybody else have the same experience ?
Celexa actually helped my IBD! So it seems like there is some sort of correlation with serotonin & digestive issues, as many ssri's do have warnings about digestive issues as side effects, meanwhile Celexa is used off label for digestive issues too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Celexa actually helped my IBD! So it seems like there is some sort of correlation with serotonin & digestive issues, as many ssri's do have warnings about digestive issues as side effects, meanwhile Celexa is used off label for digestive issues too.
@DuskIsHere : Thank you for your response. Thank you for sharing that. I was aware that SSRI s are prescribed in some cases to "treat" IBS but I wasn't aware they are also prescribed for IBD. Glad to hear that it has helped you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts