Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My IBS-D started one month after I was prescribed Prozac/Fluoxetine to treat my OCD. No IBS prior. Anybody else have the same experience ?
I became severely depressed as a teenager and was on various antidrepressants: tricyclics and then ssri's for a number of years. I had the typical constipation response to tricyclics and was diagnosed with a spastic colon, which is what they used to call IBS-C. I switched to ssri's, but after a few years I developed IBS-D. And yes, I think that the pharmaceuticals played a part in IBS. However, I think I had visceral hypersensitivity all along which was made worse by antidepressants.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I became severely depressed as a teenager and was on various antidrepressants: tricyclics and then ssri's for a number of years. I had the typical constipation response to tricyclics and was diagnosed with a spastic colon, which is what they used to call IBS-C. I switched to ssri's, but after a few years I developed IBS-D. And yes, I think that the pharmaceuticals played a part in IBS. However, I think I had visceral hypersensitivity all along which was made worse by antidepressants.
Thanks for your response . So I'v told all the doctors that I suspect the SSRI caused by IBS-D , they just wont listen. I also tried to stop the SSRI for a period of a year , I didn't see any improvement in my symptoms of IBS-D. I'v reached a dead end with trying to analyze my IBS-D because I have considered every possibility and tried every cure , nothing works. I have one last thing left on my checklist which is to get a colonoscopy with a biopsy to get microscopic colitis ruled out . Other than that I'v given up on trying to understand this disease because I feel like the I'm going into a dark place trying to find a solution to this problem which is making me more depressed. I am working on just accepting it and moving on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts