Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone else on here always feels hungry? i just seem to dream about food, and i get terrible cravings and i just have to have what im dreaming about.For quite a while i hated coffee and just could not drink it, plus it gave me the boak, for the last couple of weeks ive started consuming large quantities of coffee.I dozed off this afternoon and i had a strange dream about being trapped in a building and there was no food
god i woke up in a panic and i was sweating, that would be my worst nightmare come true, so in answer to my Q does anyone else have this cravings? or is it just me? the cravings have me baffled.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Joolie, In IBS, there is a problem with serotonin regulation. Or in IBS dysregulation.Have you ever read up on serotonin and appetite?"Serotonin is believed to play an important part of the biochemistry of depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety. It is also believed to be influential on sexuality and appetite."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SerotoninAppetitehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppetiteI personally have had times where I was in severe pain and hungry at the same time. Also a few times, after eating a small amount of food the pain went away.although not easy to eat when you have severe gut pain.Or right after a pain attack hungry.or when your feeling bloated or distended, you may feel full, even if you haven't eaten.Some people may eat more for a lot of reasons though, for example some people eat when they are depressed or for anxiety or PMS ect...I would be really careful with large quanities of coffee however. It can stimulate intestinal secretions and can contribute to d and pain in IBS.With that said I drink it personally, but try not to over do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey JoolieFunny that you mention dreaming about food because I do too- typically the food I restricted from my diet due to ibs, i.e. cookies, cakes, dairy, fried foods. For me, the reason I crave these foods is simply because I can't have them- you always want what you cant have right? I dont know if this is the reason for your cravings though. Also, Eric was correct in mentioning serotonin and its effect- because most people when there are depressed use food as a crutch therefore increasing cravings/overeating.(I know I get depressed over having IBS so sometimes I tend to binge) I am not trying to sound like some kind of doctor- just wanted to give you my take on the( and my) situation

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks eric ill take a look at that later..your like me fed up to me food is like a drug i cant help myself either..rdambrosio i know how you feel and your right we do always want what we cant have, i want to look like a wwe diva
ha!!!! no chance och well! ill just have to settle for the big show!thanks for replying its nice when people do

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I eat way less than I used to... that coupled with the diarrhea, has been the cause of my loss of 40lbs.male 5'11-6' from 190 down to 150lbs. possibly back up to 160-165.. I haven't been on the scales for awhile, because I was getting very depressed at the weight I was losing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup, Gasplant loves to fill his pig-guts with sweets and the like, soon to be followed by........gas!Gasplant is getting tired of smelling like a fulled-up baby nappy! THis last week Gasplant has been cutting back on fructose based sweets and seems to be less farty, also less hunger pangs. There seems to be an asociation with what we eat and hunger, never mind how much. Are you listening Jules ?bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrraaaaaaappppppppp !!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, it's funny you should talk about cravings, I just pretty much ate myself sick because I simply could not stop. I mean I ate an obscene amount of ice cream, then God knows how many pieces of cocholate, then some cookies and then some strawberries. This happens to me very often, ever since I got IBS. I think it's because while I'm eating, the pain tends to stop, only to get much much worse the minute I'm done chewing. But I'm human and I need some comfort once in a while. Most of the time I eat very little, out of fear of the resulting pains, so I guess depriving myself can also cause excessive cravings. Or maybe it's because sweets are just so very very yummy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
k i tend to eat less apparently. but then when i'm down i tend to eat less. sometimes feel hungry after a nasty attack but always assumed that was just cus you need more energy then. oh hell need a tissue, evil cold, anyone else tend to pick up more things since they had ibs?!?

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes me is listening gasplant
im soooo hungry now, i had my porridge about 2 hours ago, ill make a sarnie in an hour or so, slimline salad cream and ham and tomato and maybe a sybie.

G

·
Oh yes, me too - and always things that are absolutely HIDEOUS for me - like those horrible "dunker" thingeys - with sort of french bread sticks that you dip into cheese "goo" (for want of a better word!!) - hideous but I sometimes get them for the kid's packed lunch and they are lurking in the fridge and I just HAVE to demolish at least 2 of them. Why? Jools what on earth is a sybie? That hasn't reached the North West of England - now I could tell you about Maggie Ann!! (being a Scouser in excile - down the M56!!)Sue

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am always hungry too. I am trying to lose weight because I am also a diabetic, but I have been having a real hard time. It's sometimes hard to get motivated to go out and do some exercise when your stomach isn't behaving itself. I know I shouldn't eat some of these things because of my IBS, but I have only found 2 definate trigger foods which give me violent D. Everything else seems to not so violent D. Suev I have a better question. What the heck is a sarnie, slimline salad cream, and a sybie?? I am just a stupid American.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I dont eat as much with my IBS, its just the thought process on not eating which drives me to eat. Like thinking if i do eat my system will act up. So for awhile i may not eat but then my hunger gets the best of me i will go eat and feel better then later on, i'll pay for it. My stomach will start gurgeling, and i'll get spouts of gas which i really hate. Then the other stuff sets in D. I recently started taking coconut gels and caltrate. They seem to help but its not really a cure. I find that people with IBS have sometimes uncontrollable gas. I think if the gas is figured out then the problem can be better pinpointed. I seen the other day on TV about science analyzing the metabolism of the body. They stated the idea they found that some people's metabolism will actually stop if a person stops eating and start when they do eat like a switch. So if a person diets and doesnt lose any weight its because the metabolism is shut down. WHat I'm trying to say is there could be possible links to IBS and slow or fast metabolism, since your metabolism will drive you to eat also. If your hungry you'll eat. Your brain controls parts of your metabolism and when you need to eat. I think the mind could be out of proportion with the rest of body like the metabolism, and the colon. Just my opinion

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
This is interestingComfort-food Cravings May Be Body’s Attempt To Put Brake On Chronic Stresshttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/...30911072109.htmAre You an Emotional Eater? The first step in discovering how emotions affect your eating is to understand your relationship with food. Answer the following questions as honestly as you can. Think about how frequently each question is true for you, and respond with words such as sometimes, often, always, and never. By analyzing your responses, you can better understand your triggers â€" and your strengths. http://www.ibshope.com/viewtopic.php?t=208

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
interesting link eric thanks for putting it on, i feel ive always had a good relationship with food, as a youngster (many centuries ago)
hehe i always adored food, but i had the kind of metabolism that did not make me put on weight, i could eat and eat and still be thin.I know i comfort eat, i am making myself soung huge, thing is im not really, im 5"3 a size 12 (with a bit of a struggle) im 10 stone, for my height i should be about nearly 2 stones lighter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. I'm hungry constantly. Or at least I feel like I am. Sometimes after a big dinner, I start feeling "hungry" again... and I know I"m not, because I just stuffed myself, but I have such a strong desire to eat, that I do it again anyway. 3 years ago, I lost about 45-50 pounds, and have since gained 60.
. It's heartbreaking. I was on Zoloft for a few weeks, and I wasn't hungry at all, plus it helped with my IBS. But I had other side effects that I didn't like, so I quit taking it, but am going to see about trying something else. It really makes sense that serotonin could be the link.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
HiI posted a question on another BB here a while back about people and their body weight.It had to do with the question here, because I could not figure out how anyone with IBS (at least with D) could get very overweight.I have hunger, but I just don't give in most times if I have to be somewhere. Eating is a big trigger for me, so I find the only benefit I get from this damn disease is a pretty nice body for an older lady...ha.Especially on vacation or travel by car-I lose about 5 pounds in a week because I eat very little and my system stays calm.I don't seem to have trigger foods, nor do I suffer from a lot of pain or gas..it's just I know the times I eat a lot, my system is so unpredictable, it is simply not worth it. I do work full time too, so the option of having lots of days where I can just stay around home is not there for me.In a nutshell..yes I do get hungry many times, but just thinking of the consequences of eating a lot is enough to put a damper on it.Jeanne

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
### that dairy lee dunkers sue yuk!! i LOVE food but i would rather run through the streets naked
than eat that guff! there is just no taste and they charge you a small fortune for a naffy wee bit of foul smell cheese

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.