Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been diagnosed with IBS mostly with D put also Const. I can go out to eat and have to rush home because I am so sick. It has really hurt my social life. I have been tested for other diseases a while back. This has been going on for years but i am only 21! I almost wish they new an accurate diagnosis b/c the dr. told me that the meds for ibs dont work. Even fiber and foods that normally would bind give me really bad d. Anyone else experience this??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
This is a pretty normal pattern for IBS.Whenever you eat your colon has a peak of activity. In IBSers this may be exaggerated in response. Sometimes limiting size of meals, or limiting the greasiness of meals helps.While the doctor has a point, many of the meds for IBS do work for some people for IBS so I think it may be time to try a new doctor, rather than get a new diagnosis. One that is willing to work through the treatments and find one that does work for you.Things you can try on your own. 300-600 mgs of Calcium Carbonate with meals helps some people. If you are at risk for kidney stones check with a doctor first.Peppermint tea or even a couple of altoids of the peppermint kind 20-30 minutes before a meal can dampen this down. Some people get luck using prescription antispamodics this way (rather than peppermint an herbal antispasmodic) or some people do a small dose of Imodium before meals or just morning and night. You want at dose that slows down the over-reaction without making you constipated. Peppermint may make heart burn worse.Various antidepressants (Because the nerves in the gut use serotonin too) may help with this particuarly the tricyclics, and there is always Lotronex, which works well for some very severe IBSers, but needs to be used only if other treatments fail.You may want to look at heathers www.eatingforibs.com to see if she has other diet tips that may help.Some people do well with various mind-body techniques which alter how you respond to the GI symptoms and can for many people make the IBS much better.K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. This is my second gastro dr that I have gone to . He is hopefull that we will find a medicine but it has been months. I take zoloft but it doesnt help too much that I can notice. I can eat some foods and be ok but other times violently ill.I can't eat :fruit, veges, mexican,italian,spanish, or sald
. Hopefully we will eventually find something that works. All the fiber meds give me d even medimucil and mirilax.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Miralax is not a fiber, it is an osmotic laxative so it should loosen you up a lot (it is basically a low dose of the stuff used for colonoscoy preps).If the Zoloft isn't helping so much maybe trying one of the tricyclic antidepressants. sometimes people do better with a different class of those meds.Raw fruits and veggies (like salad) are often a problem. Try canned fruits and well cooked veggies as that seems to be easier on people.Some of the ethnic foods like Mexican if done the way most US people eat them have a lot of fat and grease in them (all the sour cream and cheese added for our tastes) so that may be an issue as well depending on which of foods from the ethnic places you are eating.Sometimes people tolerate a small salad at the end of a meal rather than at the begining...it hits the stomach differently that way.K.

G

·
alycat9947I would second what Kath M. has written. I have been living with ibs.d for over 30 years and have only recently begun to make real progress in "managing" it and this has come about mainly from logging on to the web last autumn and finding this site and www....com. I immediately took the dietary advice Heather gives - especially the soluble fibre and have only just starting introducing some insoluble fibers. I have also been taking a soluble fiber supplement (Acacia) which heather sells, 2 months after starting the Acacia I started with Calcium tablets and this week have introduced acidophilos. It is a long process but I do think many people try something for a very short time and do not persist. I have had to persist and I think it is now coming together.Hope this is helpful.JudithCoventry, UK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Different things provide some level of relief for different people with IBS-d. I've passed this along to 3 or 4 people on this bulletin board. I don't know of anyone who has tried this outside our family. For us, it's about as close to a cure as you can come. If nothing else has worked so far, try a product by GNC called Agree with Meals. It costs ### $10 for a bottle (cheaper when its on sale) that should last a month, what do you have to loose?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alycat - I've been there too many times to count. Hate spending money on a meal and not leaving the restaurant with it. Urgent D right away. At my worst my husband thought I was throwing up to stay skinny. Little did he know I cry every time I lose 5lbs b/c I know it's b/c of my IBS-D. I take Zoloft with good results and take only 1 Immodium before stressful situations or meals to slow down the D. I agree with the other posts too re:finding your triggers and removing them from your diet. Stick to foods easy to digest and low in spices until your D settles down. Stay away from coffee and soda too when out to dinner. That always helps me. Good luck!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I had that problem until I had my gallbladder removed. I would barely make it through a meal before the D would hit. Not always, but more often than I would have preferred! Now it almost never happens. You might want to talk to your doctor about testing your gallbladder function. Is there ever any high abdominal pain associated with your flare-ups? If so, I'd definitely say get your GB checked out. I'm so much better now - only an occasional bad day of D - and no more running right after a meal.Marty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.