Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had had problems with"IBS" since I was 17. I am now 30. Many doctors, many colonoscopies. No help to date with balacking out or vaso-vagal episodes durring ibs episode. Now I am not making it to a bathroom having severe accidents. I am only 30 and have become very depressed. I actually had a doctor tell me a couple of monthes ago that "i needed to learn how to DEAL with it". I can't live this way anymore. I've lost almost all hope.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi. I don't have this problem although I do get major urgency. Many people on here do go through this though and I'm sure they'll reply to you soon. Just know that as awful and horrible as it is that you are not all alone in this.

·
Registered
476 Posts
First of all, change your doctor!I used to be like this many months ago. I had one incident where I did not make it, and the problem with this is the next time you go to that same place, your mind plays tricks, and you start thinking what if it happens again, blah blah, which in turn makes your tummy bad again! You need to get out of this vicous cycle, and the only way to do that is to find a doctor who will help you to get this under control more-so. I don't think any of us are completely symptom free, but there are ways to help. Is your current doctor helping at all with your depression? This could be playing a major part with your IBS, having learnt that IBS itself can cause depression.Sorry for the waffle, just get really annoyed when doctors leave people to struggle through themselves.Chin up!Mandy x

·
Registered
51 Posts
i've come close a few times... the closest i came was after easter dinner a few years ago, i ate bunch of asparagus and on the car ride home i was holding on to dear life to keep from going on myself... my husband thought it was hilarious, but i didn't (at the time, now i can laught at myself about the whole thing
)

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes batgirl,i have had that same problem, as you. Right now im not going anywhere till i get this undercontrol. My gastro doc started me on entocort and it seems to be helping. i went 3 weeks straight with diarreha and had many accident at home, in bed, i now sleep with a towel under me, and ive lost lots of weight. FIND A GOOD DOCTOR and have more tests run!! Good luck

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hello batgirlI have been living with this for over 30 years now (I am 53) and in recent times I have also experienced incontinence - when out - not good.What measures are you taking to try and get some control over the ibs? This time last year I found this site and .. and have now got some control and stability.I started by taking some of .. diet advice, I added in a soluble fiber supplement and am also taking acidopholus. For me these things have helped.If you look at ...com you will find tons of valuable advice.You sound as if you are where I was 12 months ago and after 30 years I just thought there was no hope BUT there is. However, I would caution you that these things do not work overnight and you do have to persevere with various remedies. Some people on here use calcium (it did not help me) but also in the short term I would suggest Imodium.The thing about these boards is that the vast majority of us are suffering along with you so it is a good place to come.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
batgirl, half of my posts are about the same problem. I too don;t make it allot. Sometimes I have no warning at all. It is just like water and you just don't know it is coming. I got imune to imodium Ad I now take lomotil when I have to go places. After an accident I am to scared and the anxiety is so bad I won't go anywhere for along time. I too hate my life right now and am so sick of living like this.Take careKat

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I used to be that way. At the worst I was working in our office at home, right next to the washroom, and still would foul myself. When you are finally fed up enough, drop me a line. This stuff saved my life. There were times when I fought to get to a toilet in time; but never when it was just next door and I haven't had a "surprise fart" since 1998.http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/76110261/m/42310453Best of luck with this.Markmsprague2002###yahoo.ca

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have posted elsewhere on the forum. I am a Dr with IBS-D,here are my previous posts maybe they will help you: Posted 16 August 2005 02:29 AM AhHa, at last...a physician with IBS, I think I can trace mine back to before I was 10!! I, too have a life ruled by IBS-D rather than me ruling it. I use Lomotil, I divide the tablet into 4 and take 1/4 tablet pre stressor event eg. long car journey, plane trip, Crown Court appearance etc. This reduces the chance of tolerance and also reduces the side effects, headache, dry mouth. Interestingly I find that 2 hrs after taking it I get a 'call to stool' after which I can pretty much rely on it to keep me safe. Did you know that in a GI emergency scenario you can put the Lomotil tablet under the tongue and it works within minutes.......taste not so good but effect is quick. I hate being like this and like all of you I have tried almost everything available without any long term success. I am sure the main issue is one of heightened awareness of a normal physiological event ie. bowel contraction and peristalsis and a morbid fear of losing control and being caught short or tenesmus as we docs call it.I am sure that somehow we need to reverse the mindset and not allow it to control our lives but for our lives to control it.....I'm just not sure how to attain this state of mind and body. As I said earlier I have tried lots of different 'lotions and potions' but it all seems like a sticking plaster approach ie. short term.....there must be a switch in a gene somewhere on a chromosome that we can switch off and allow us to live less obsessed lives, 'cos it is an obsession, its always in the back of the mind, what should I eat if I am doing something the next day that takes me away from easy toilet access, dreading going to the theatre, cinema, out to dinner etc. etc...............there is no doubt it is a blight on our lives which those who have normal bowel control cannot conceive of, and indeed cannot understand....its a bit like trying to explain parenthood to a childless couple. This is a useful forum for at least 2 reasons, it allows us to share our misery (venting) which is cathartic and it also allows us to share our fixes......ThanksMike Posted 17 August 2005 02:02 AM Lomotil is a combination of Atropine and Diphenoxylate (the opiate) obviously there is an interaction between alcohol and the opiate but it is a weak opiate so the reaction is probably not really noticeable. You may find that reaction times, whilst reduced with alcohol, are reduced even further by the addition of an opiate.Yes Lomotil constipates me for 24 hrs, thats with 1/4 tablet, I find I need to be careful after the 24 hrs as the 'beast awakens' and pays me back for having the temerity to control IT rather than the other way round. I cannot get on with Imodium, I find it causes a paradoxical bowel emptying about 2-3 hrs after taking it. Other remedies I have tried include Aloe Vera tabs.....useless, Kwells for kids (hyoscine).......make me sleepy and give me headache......Colpermin (peppermint oil in slow release form).....not sure about this one, I think you need to take it regularly in order for it to work, Magnesium supplementation....useless, threelac......useless, probiotic caps........useless, buscopan (mebeverine as an antispasmodic) I think it helps the spasms....etc, etc. The bottom (pardon the pun) line is that there is not a lot out there to help us.....it looks like the newer meds are to be avoided at present due to their vicious side effect profiles.Sometimes I despair, other times I thank God that its not ulcerative colitis or Crohns and just get on with it.Keep taking the tablets......whatever they are ....if they work for you think yourselves fortunate.Mike Look at your diet try cutting out 1 foodstuff at a time, first try to remove wheat and gluten, barley and oats. Then try to cut out yeast, reduce if not stop citrus fruits, brassicas eg brocolli and cauliflour. Make your diet rice based, crackers , cookies, rice porridge.Good luckMike

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had 9 accidents from Sept to May. Then I came on the board and learned about Questran. Since starting Questran I have only had diarrhea once and no accidents. I still get urgency, but it is much more controllable than liquid diarrhea. Sometimes I would even consider Questran constipating, but at least I can get to the nearest bathroom in time. I have not had a cholecystectomy, but I do have high cholesterol, so my doctor felt Questran was a legitimate remedy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
plodoc,how interisting,i also take lomotil,more than what you do though,can this be taken all your life if this is the only thing that helps???I had one doc who wouldent even prescribe it to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Julia, My total cholesterol was 332 with HDL 56 and LDL 230. Very high! I really don't expect the questran to redudce it considerably. I used to be on Lipitor but dc'd it due to body aches and memory problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get that way when we go out to dinner. I feel awful for my husband because I won't eat out unless we are less than 15 minutes from home. I've tried taking 1/2 an Immodium, then watching what I eat at the restaurant. Most times, it helps. I know stress and just thinking about it tends to aggravate the symptoms (at least for me).

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi mailee! You may want to read the topic poldoc refers to as quite a few of us posted about Lomotil http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/723...03761#516103761I've taken Lomotil since my IBS started around 20yrs ago! I've never had any trouble getting my Dr to repeat prescriptions. I don't however take it daily although my Dr has said this would be OK. I just use it when I'm going somewhere and need to guarantee not having to make a mad dash to the loo!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hi poldoc..wow finally a dr. with IBS!! I wish I could go to you ..you would be able to understand my problems without that "all in your head smirk" I usually get. Why won't drs. give you Lomotil? Mine just shakes his head no.. and says take Imodium!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Batgirl,Your case would almost certainly qualify as VERY severe. Find a doctor who handles refractory cases ASAP and ask for Lotronex (if you are in the US.) Any doctor who uses it at all would definitely write a script for you. My case is only maybe borderline severe, and my doctor has offered it to me (am currently on Zofran), and as bad as I feel, you are clearly in a whole different universe of misery. Lomotil for many people isn't that different from Imodium. Ask for Lotronex.

·
Registered
3 Posts
quote:Originally posted by batgirl:I have had had problems with"IBS" since I was 17. I am now 30. Many doctors, many colonoscopies. No help to date with balacking out or vaso-vagal episodes durring ibs episode. Now I am not making it to a bathroom having severe accidents. I am only 30 and have become very depressed. I actually had a doctor tell me a couple of monthes ago that "i needed to learn how to DEAL with it". I can't live this way anymore. I've lost almost all hope.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.