Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Does anyone go from normal to D in 10 mins?

810 views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  skinnyme 
#1 ·
Hi,This happens to me sometimes. I'll wake up and have a glorious and pretty normal BM. I'll thank the powers that be and leave the washroom. Within 10 minutes I'll rush to the bathroom with D.Does this happen to anyone else???I'm taking Caltrate600 -- one at lunch time and one after dinner. I wonder if taking two after dinner would be better?Fiona

#2 ·
Hi, Fiona.Not only have I been there/done that, but it's occasionally happened so fast that I didn't make it to the washroom on time. There are a lot of things I hate about ibs, but the unpredictability is the worst.I don't have an answer for you, honey, but I can certainly empathize. I hope you have a good day, anyway.love, -poopsalot, again and again and again..

#8 ·
Wow...at least I'm not alone. I wonder what causes this? Is it silly to think that if I haven't had a BM since the morning before, the food I ate early in the day caused the normal BM and the food I ate later caused the D? Is that just being silly?Fiona

G
#12 ·
Me too Fiona...sounds like we've all been there.On my "bad days"...(incidentally they ALL seem like bad days now)...I have this sense that I'm not safe throughout the day (if you know what I mean). I don't necessarily go every hour or anything, but I feel like the only thing keeping me from going is my intestinal fortitude
Other days, I'll feel fine. Like I'm sure I won't need to go, but then, sure enough the urge begins, and sometimes rolls in like a freight train.I guess the unpredictability is one of the hardest things about this.

G
#13 ·
That's the exact kind of day i'm having today, as a matter of fact!!! Woke this morning feeling great.....i've had a C/D problem lately that i've been battling (along with my poor family) but that even seemed better this morning. I arrived at work and within 20 minutes started making my rush to the bathroom (we have one in the office which I share with 4 females but i normally go down the hall to the larger one on bad days). My last rush i was unable to make it to the larger bathroom down the hall and had to hurry to our little small office bathroom (no vent). I've gotten past the embarrassment because i'm so grateful to have a toilet so close to my desk. The other option would have been to go home. I even tried relaxing by lying down in an empty office area for 30 minutes, too. Nothing worked. Not even my trusty Librax. Anyway, everyone knows when I light a scented candle in the bathroom that i'm having a problem and they graciously say nothing to me. I could go home but normally after I have an explosive problem like this morning I get to feeling fine. I'm gradually getting back to normal but i won't be able to eat lunch, i can tell. So yes, it happens to me. I hate the unpredictability of IBS more than anything, i think. I did cancel a meeting this morning because i had a feeling i was going to have problems and sure enough.....i was on the toilet at the very time i would have been in the meeting. And to be honest, i'm going out of town next week and I was actually thinking i was glad this happened now because maybe I won't have my C/G problems and with my Librax i should have the D problem covered after today!!! You guys are all great on days when this happens.....it's nice to know i'm not crazy!!!

#14 ·
Wow! I'm not alone
Thanks for all of your replies. I guess it's just a symptom. I'm usually D and my doc had me start with bran last week. It's been about 6 days and my D is worse, so I'm going to stop I think. I'm just not sure if the bran is causing it because she also told me to start eating balanced meals and who knows if one of those meals contains a trigger food?!?Oh well!Misti, I hope your time out of town goes well (IBS free). It's good that the washroom is so close to your desk, and what would we do without scented candles!!
Fiona

G
#16 ·
This happens to me also. My episodes usually start normal and then every 20 min or so i race to the bathroom for 3-4 more times, each worse than the last until i'm finally empty. Best case scenario is when it starts at around 5:00 in the am so i have time to be done with it before i leave for work. Cuts into my sleep time though. My hubby doesn't understand how i can get up so early & still not be ready to leave on time most days. These days are still better though than when it hits after i'm at work. Ugh!!!!

#17 ·
Hey, I also take the caltrate 600. I used to have mostly those experiences, i thought of it as first letting go of the plug and then you'd never know what you were gonna get next. What I take now is the caltrate pill right after I finish dinner (my mom had a kidney stone from too much calcium and i really wouldn't want that) Also before I go to bed I take an Acidopholus pill and a capsule of Vitamin B complex. It seems to be working great. I still get sick but usually nothing explosive and no more messy clothes!

#18 ·
I think what you described is one of the major problems for many of us with IBS. I use to be thankful for a 'normal' bm but then realized that it is usually followed by D. Not always right away but usually sometime that day. And people want to know why we stay home a lot ?????

#21 ·
I can eat dinner and have to run to the pot not more than 5 minutes later with the explosive stuff. My exercise buddy who has a stomach of steel thinks its great because you get to enjoy your meal and then its gone-no time to absorb fat,calories,etc... I dont know if thats true but I sure wouldnt wish this problem on anyone.NoSpice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.