Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on here where a few have had back pain with their IBS but don't know where these threads might be...I'm wondering b/c I've recently developed a new symptom (aside from the usuals) of back pain in my left upper back area. It is very high (where the kidneys would be) but I don't know of anything else it could be besides my IBS. Could anyone with "IBS back pain" please explain to me what they feel? Also, what relieves it? I use a heating pad for my LUQ abd pain & have tried this on my back with some relief. Any information is much appreciated.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Gumbo try using our "Search" function. It is the second to last tab from the right in the light blue bar above us here.Have you discussed the pain with your Dr?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know how you feel :[ When I have serious times with IBS I get major back pain too. Yeah a heating pad is a great idea, though they don't get very hot and I don't get much relief, so I usually put a wet hand towel in a ziploc bag and stick it in the microwave for a minute, that usually makes it super hot and that helps. But when it gets to the point where that just doesn't work I do like a combination of things to sooth it, I take 2 ibuprofen (if its killing me than sometimes 3, but I don't reccomend doing that often.) if the pain persists after awhile I take tylonal as well. Then I do this mind-numbing thing where I listen to something that I don't have to pay attention to because i've heard it so much (like a movie or my Chronicles of Narnia CDs). All-in-all i've had plenty of times where nothing helps and I just have to ride it out and when that happens I just usually cry and pray to God for help. (lol, and this is just for backpain) I'm sorry if i'm not very helpful, but I wanted to help so I tried :]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BQ, I'll do a search.I have an appointment in 2 weeks so I'll definitely be discussing this with her. The pain just started recently (within the past month) so it's new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know how you feel :[ When I have serious times with IBS I get major back pain too. Yeah a heating pad is a great idea, though they don't get very hot and I don't get much relief, so I usually put a wet hand towel in a ziploc bag and stick it in the microwave for a minute, that usually makes it super hot and that helps. But when it gets to the point where that just doesn't work I do like a combination of things to sooth it, I take 2 ibuprofen (if its killing me than sometimes 3, but I don't reccomend doing that often.) if the pain persists after awhile I take tylonal as well. Then I do this mind-numbing thing where I listen to something that I don't have to pay attention to because i've heard it so much (like a movie or my Chronicles of Narnia CDs). All-in-all i've had plenty of times where nothing helps and I just have to ride it out and when that happens I just usually cry and pray to God for help. (lol, and this is just for backpain) I'm sorry if i'm not very helpful, but I wanted to help so I tried :]
Any response helps so thank you very much. I'll try some of your mind-numbing techniques as I've never tried it before.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Gumbo glad you have an appt scheduled already. (Always good to get "new" symptoms checked out.) And I must say I agree Ship there... I have found distraction, imagery, self hypno, relaxation techniques, music etc>> to be very helpful in helping me manage my pain.All the best

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my search and........BINGO...found tons of info. You moderators are the best!!! Thanks so much as you are all greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Whenever I get diarrhea I suffer with lower back pain. It isn't ever higher up so dosen't sound like the pain you are experiencing. It took me a while to link the two but it definitely linked with episodes of diarrhea. It is a ache rather than a pain and normal painkillers like paracetamol don't make any difference. Stronger painkillers containing codeine helped to stop the aching. It is all all the lower back with me. I also found a hot water bottle helped as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,I'm in the same boat except for I get excruciating upper back pain on my right side. It feels like someone took a mallet and just slammed into my rib cage. In fact, I have had a cracked rib and the pain the radiates around to my back feels very similar. This is called 'referred pain' as the nerves causing your back pain are not, in fact, in your back but in your bowel. The pain is referred because the brain is 'confused' by it. It can be intense and scary but as long as you've had all of the tests and have a clean bill of health it is nothing to worry about. Try stretching, yoga, or some other easy cardiovascular workout. Believe, I know what it feels like and it is not fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts