Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family doc, the ER doc and my Gastronial Intestinal doc all think my symptoms indicate IBS-D, however, everything I've read about it hasn't mentioned anything about a 'throbbing stomach' as a symptom(below and *above* the belly button). Does anyone else have this symptom too? Don't get me wrong, when I wake up, I have the most problems with unbelieveable pain in the lower abdomen (almost as bad as labor pains... well, they might as well be labor pains), but then this constant stomach throbbing lasts all day. Here's some background... I was officially diagnosed as having IBS 2 years ago. I got an upper GI (I think it's called) test which did not indicate a problem ... and before I had some other tests, my IBS symptoms went away (I know, I'm fortunate for that). My Mom, Aunt, Grandmom and sisters all have had 'temporary bouts of IBS' previously as well. My Mom simply calls it a 'nervous stomach'. Please note, I recently decided to get off of opiates for chronic pain several weeks ago (which by the way I had almost no IBS symptoms the whole time, except noted above, although that's not why I was taking them), and then the IBS-D symptoms came back about 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it could be a rebound effect, or a virus, then seafood poisening, but after loosing almost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks I visited my family doc last week. Note: I've been eating an extremely bland/light diet (mostly) during this time period (i.e. saltine crackers, a few bites of a dry roll, rice (w/a little butter), sipping coca cola or gingerale and I practically stopped drinking all coffee with the exception of a few sips to stop the tension headaches). My family doc suspected it could be IBS again, but gave me a prescription of lomitol (sp?) and then 2 days later Flagyl to rule-out some types of parasites, bacteria or infection of the intestines. Then this past Tues morning, my symptoms hit an extreme when I went approx. 15 times in 1.5 hours (even taking 2 lomitol the day before). I couldn't get up for more then 5 seconds without sitting back down. I went to the ER and after only a blood & urine test, they said those tests looked normal and it was probably IBS, and sent me home. My GI doctor squeezed me in on Thurs. (as now I've lost almost 15 pounds in 3 weeks and haven't been 122 pounds for years), and he's suspecting it's IBS also, but is waiting for the stool tests to come back and then I have a colonstopy scheduled w/him on 6/11. In the meantime he prescribed Pepcid and Librax as he said he's had a lot of success with this combo. of meds w/his IBS patients. He also said I could continue to take the Lomitol as needed (right now I take 1 int he morning and 1 at night... occassionally 1 before bedtime in hopes it will stop the worst problems in the morning... although I still go..... just not as much... and the pains are still there). Now, I've only taken these meds together for 2 full days, but not a real difference yet that I can see.Any advice in the meantime would be appreciated as it's really impacting my job and homelife! Hardly eating has made little difference, with the exception I don't go as much.p.s. I have been putting a heating pad on my stomach which helps a little, but the all day feeling of throbbing in my stomach after my BM's isn't helping, nor the feeling of being completely wiped out and scared to eat!Please Help!

·
Registered
617 Posts
WEll to me that is just the spasms associtated with all this awful disease!!!!!!!!!!! I get pain in my abdomen and bowels and anus Like I think I'm gonna die sometimes!!!!! Horrible huh? I think I need some opiates to get me through this sometimes. I just gut it out most of the time. I think if others had the pain I have sometimes they would't believe it, cept another IBSer.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Well how much coke and gingerale are you drinking?. They have high fructose corn syrup in them and could be causing D if you don't absorb fructose properly. Maybe you could try a drink without fructose in it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read the other day that carbonated sodas could make IBS worse, but I didn't start drinking them until the symptoms were there (I always thought coke and gingerale would help with 'stomach ailments'). So is stopped and am drinking gatorade mostly. Water seems to make my stomach worse, although I always hear it's good for you. Can anyone give me some tips of things to eat, as I hear veggie and fruits are good on 1 site, and then they're not on other sites. There's a lot of conflicting info. out there on what you should and should not eat. Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! p.s. the throbbing stomach is above my belly button also... isn't that unusual?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
It is not just carbonation . Fructose could be the problem. Most of the Gatorade products have fructose if not High fructose corn syrup in them. If you have a problenm with fructose absorption, fruits and veggies could be a problem. You could try fish, shrimp in cream based sauces if you are not lactose intolerant.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Gatorade� Sucrose Syrup, Glucose-Fructose Syrup 14 6 50 110 30 No NoAccelerade� Sucrose, Fructose, Maltodextrin 177 9312743 NoNoAllsport Body Quencher� High Fructose Corn Syrup 167 605550 NoNoG Push� G1 Hydration Formula Galactose 6 2 25 170 40 No NoCytomax� Cool Citrus Amylopectin Starches, Maltodextrin alphaL-Polylactate�, Fructose, Glucose 104 485055 YesNoGU2O� Maltodextrin, Fructose 13 5 50 120 20 No NoPowerade� High Fructose Corn Syrup, Maltodextrin 198 705530 NoNo http://www.gssiweb.com/pdf/gatorade_bev_chart.pdf You could try G-Push as far as drinks go.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with bonnie, for now I would stay away from sodas and anything with fructose, because from your bland diet you describe that could be the only thing causing you problems.As far as the conflicting info, the thing is that what triggers bad symptoms for some people is fine for others. For you, I would cut out fructose and see what happens.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was going to ask the same question as flux...I can always feel a really strong pulse in my abdomen (whether it is sore or not)...and can see it moving up and down. Is this normal? Does anyone else get this?? Is this what you meant butkus?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also get those pains all around the belly button, sometimes on the sides, or above. I can have the pain all day and night for days on end and then go for days without it. I think that a lot of it has to do with the combination of things that I eat. Caffiene, dairy products, greasy or fried foods, spicy foods, can all beterrible, especially if I have one or more of these in a given day. I have taken Lomotil for years as needed and I like that best for prevention purposes (when I know I'm going to eat something that may bother me I take one ahead of time). I had the same thing a year ago, where I lost 20 pounds and thought I was dying. I started taken fiber daily and calcium and was able to go for months without any D at all. I also went through all of the 'tests' and drugs and found that this worked best for me. Lately, I've had a lot of pain and some D (same time as last year). I wonder if BQ-ed food could also be a culprit. Try the fiber, it does work wonders to stop the D, I never thought it would work, but it really really does! It's so difficult tofind the right things to eat when we have IBS-D,I guess it is just trial and error on an individual basis and hope that we each find out what works best for us. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the throbbing feels like a heart beat (a little uncomfortable as well) around my belly button. Sometimes above in the middle or below. Over the past week, I've tried pro-biotics, cod liver oil (capsules), no milk, no sugar, no bread, etc. and basically feel like I've been on a very healthy version of the Atkins diet (although it's called "The Makers Diet" by Jordan Rubin which I'm sure some of you know about. The pain along with the D symptoms have decreased, and the frequency, but the strange thing is I'm not satisfied when I eat only an egg or 2 for breakfast, no drinks other then water and 'ocean caught' seafood or grass-feed meat for dinner. I have to admit I love milk products and carbs (pasta, homemade gravy, rice) and this week has been torture. Oh yea, no spices and no sweets which I could live with mostly,... but it hasn't seemed to really help the way I thought it would. And although my stomach is a little better, the throbbing is there constantly, I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm down 21 pounds now and feel weaker every day. I thought weightloss and being woken up with D symptoms was a 'red flag' indicator that it may not be IBS. And if it was, wouldn't my very restricted diet have calmed down my symptoms much more then they have by now.It's all very scarey and I'm getting really depressed,... in tears some days because even with trying many things, I have no control over this and I'm so tired of my GI and family doc thinking it's stress, ... but they'll do a 'few' tests (I have several more I want them to do, but have been told to wait for the colonostopy... which took 2 weeks to schedule, so in the meantime I get skinnier and skinnier, and weaker and weaker). Although it helps to know that I'm not alone, thanks to this board, I feel alone at home. My husband wants it to go away, I'm too sick or weak to play with my kids and my father and rest of my family don't understand. Of course, work is getting sick of it, as well as I am, but it has to be at the bottom of the list.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hang in there, I know it's hard. I couldn't believe that I could be in so much pain and lose so much weight and it only be IBS. I thought for sure that I had cancer and that the dr/s just weren't finding it. I thought at one point I was having a nervous breakdown, or going thru an early menopause, etc. But, believe it or not, stress and worry over not feeling well can make you feel that sick, it really can. I found that eating a lot of chicken (not greasy tho), and turkey, tuna, bread, rice, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, protein drinks made lactose free with fruit, toast, waffles, salads, etc. was what I was able to eat when I felt like you. I thought I had poisoning from our water, I had that checked, I used different dish detergents, believe me, I tried every thing I could think of. I went on xanax for the few weeks that I had all my tests done, because I was so stressed out and then went off of it, it seemed to really help, maybe ask the dr. to prescribe some. Also, I think the colonoscopy/stig test is the best one because that way they can really take a good look and know for sure if there is anything wrong. Once you have that test I think you will have a better idea of what is going on. No one else can understand what you are going thru, I know, I think all of my friends and husband thought I was losing my mind or exagerating my problem worse than it was, but I wasn't. Keep me posted to how you are and what they find with the colonoscopy, what other tests are they doing?Just try to eat a little more protein and try the protein shakes, also powerbars and peanut butter, to help put the weight back on. I had gone from 120 lbs down to 99 lbs last year, but once I started feeling better I was able to eat more and more things and gained the weight back, so you will too eventually. Hang in there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks maxson. Was it the diet that turned things around for you? Do you have regular boughts with IBS-D still? How many weeks month did you feel bad and how old were you (if you don't mind me asking).I've had IBS before and just felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife up through my bowels, but it would pass and I never changed my diet. That was a few years ago. This has been different... non stop... constant, with varying degrees of D, but D nonetheless. Also, I thought waffles, toast potatoes, and even corn on the cob was out? I know what you mean about people not understanding,... they think I'm exaggerating if I don't want to see them or if I can't babysit my great nephew (who I would love to babysit... he's only a month and my kids are 9 and 7). I've even considered canceling a cruise in Nov. so I can take the rest of my vacation time and just hope this passes.I've slowed down my entire routine to almost nothing, which is why I question IBS especially stress related. I take a lot of baths, read and watch movies to keep occupied, but stopped walking as I have no strength in the past week. Question - what other tests (if the colonostopy is okay) should I consider since I have changed my diet, to no prevail? I've had stool samples, a blood test for allergies (not lactose ... I think it was for wheat, rye, etc.), and routine blood work and urine work. They even checked for pregnancy. But I haven't had any MRI's, ultrasounds, etc. I was thinking of asking for the following additional tests:1)other food allergies including lactose2)hydrogen breath test to test for overgrowth of certain bacteria in the small intestine3)Gluten-Sensitive Enteropathy Tests (to test for Celiac disease which is apparently more wide spread in the US then they originally thought per the AMA)I think I'm going to stop the pro-biotics, because I've been on them a week with a restricted diet, and feel weaker then I did before with no relief of D.I started to take the caltrate 600 (without the magnesium) today to see if that would help. Then the colonstopy on Wed. I'm not sure what liquid diet I should go on the day before the colon. or what to drink as they list strained fruit juices and all I'm drinking these days are water. Oh yea, I can have chicken broth for breakfast, lunch and dinner (one meal would be fine but all 3... yuk!).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I'll try to answer your questions. I have had IBS-d for many many years. I think it first started when I would go to Mexico each year for about 9 years in a row on vacation. Whenever I came back, I had D, and felt sick for awhile. I also got food poisoning twice, the last time was in Jan. of 2003, both my sister and I got sick.As I understand it, once you have food poisoning, or bacteria (like I got in Mexico) itcan kill all of the good bacteria in your body. I believe this is what makes me more prone to D, and digestive problems, this is also why I became lactose intolerant. You can take acidiphilus or eat yogurt to build the good bacteria back up. I am turning 40 this Monday, so I was 39 when I had all the problems last summer. I was really sick from May till aboutAugust. Once I had myself on Fiber it was whatturned things around. Also, just knowing that Iwasn't dying certainly helped, I was pretty stressed out. I had about 17 blood tests, 10 stool samples, a cat scan, an ab. x-ray, a colonoscopy and Stig. I had a rectal polyp removed by a surgeon which they found during the colonoscopy. Every single test came back fine, they didn't find a thing other than the polyp. I think the polyp caused some of the D, I also had had blood which really freaked me out (I thought I had colon cancer for sure). I think the food thing is just an individual thing, what may work for me may not for you, but you need protein to get your strength and weight back. Keep me posted and good luck with your test on Wednesday.Don't be nervous about it, you will be asleep for the whole thing (be sure to tell them that you want to be ahead of time). I am seeing a new gastro dr. myself in a week to see when I need to have my next colonoscopy to check for more polyps. Hang in there!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts