Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have joined here as I am desperate for help. I have read many posts here and I have not found anyone with symptoms exactly like mine. I have sever bloating that has not gone away now for two months. I have strong pain on my left side that runs from just below the rib cage and all the way down to my hip. The pain comes on very suddenly and almost feels like a sharp jab in my upper left side just under the rib cage. After three or four hard sudden jabs then my stomach starts to go into spasms which is quickly followed by a rushing sensation in my head then I get very lightheaded. Any type of physical activity will set an episode off. Driving in a car will cause mild to severe intestine spasms after only five minutes. When I have a bad episode I become so lightheaded I can barely stand without the feeling I am going to faint. about five minutes after a severe attack I have to urinate and usally have a bowel movement that is soft but not diarrea. I am trapt in my house now for the past two months and I am desperate for help. Can IBS really be this severe? I do not know if it is realted but I saw it mentioned here I also have severe ringing in my left ear on and off. I would be so greatfull for any help whatsoever. I want my life back!Michael

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The pain sounds familiar but I don't get the light headed thing (although we have had people report it here).My pain was triggered by physical movement anything that bounced the abdomen a bit or where I had to tighten the abdominal wall (like picking something up off the floor). IBS pain can be severe. The bloating usually is more of a concern for women if it comes on suddenly and doesn't vary at all. Mostly because that is a symptom of ovarian cancer, don't know of anything specific for that symptom in men, but bloating is common and if your guts are so tender they can't handle a car ride some of the distension may be from the abdominal wall relaxing out so it doesn't put any pressure on them.Back to the lightheaded thing.Some people have a sensitive Vagus nerve and abdominal pain is one of the things that can trigger it. When it goes off people get a range of light-headeness to a full faint.Here is a link on vasovagal syncope (fainting): http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vasovagal-syncope/DS00806

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have joined here as I am desperate for help. I have read many posts here and I have not found anyone with symptoms exactly like mine. I have sever bloating that has not gone away now for two months. I have strong pain on my left side that runs from just below the rib cage and all the way down to my hip. The pain comes on very suddenly and almost feels like a sharp jab in my upper left side just under the rib cage. After three or four hard sudden jabs then my stomach starts to go into spasms which is quickly followed by a rushing sensation in my head then I get very lightheaded. Any type of physical activity will set an episode off. Driving in a car will cause mild to severe intestine spasms after only five minutes. When I have a bad episode I become so lightheaded I can barely stand without the feeling I am going to faint. about five minutes after a severe attack I have to urinate and usally have a bowel movement that is soft but not diarrea. I am trapt in my house now for the past two months and I am desperate for help. Can IBS really be this severe? I do not know if it is realted but I saw it mentioned here I also have severe ringing in my left ear on and off. I would be so greatfull for any help whatsoever. I want my life back!Michael

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have no idea how happy I am to find out that there is someone else out there who has pain riding in a car! This has been one of my major problems since day one. (I usually make sure I have Maalox Advantage with me as there is a bit of simethicone in it and that helps sometimes). I thought I must be the only person in the universe who has gut pain when riding in the car!I have the same lightheadedness as well when I am having really bad pain, which is generally on my right side.I thank you for this post. I was just thinking about going back to the doctor (AGAIN) as yesterday was a really horribly painful day with spasms and light headedness. The pain was so bad it made me prespire and shake. The only thing I could think to do was to take a nap, which helped somewhat. But after reading your post I know that if I go back to the doctor they will tell me once again, that there is 'nothing wrong'. (I have had xrays, cat scans, ultrasounds, blood tests, ECG's etc. and all come back 'normal'!This 'syndrome' is a horrible thing on the really bad days and just painful on the not so bad days. I do have an occassional day with no pain whatsoever, and on those days I remember what it was like before all this started and try to celebrate those rare days!I hope that you too will soon have some good days.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think you need to seek medical attention. Have you done that yet ? what kind of tests have you had ? if not you need to get in and have some testing done !! The severe bloating that has been persistant for you could be a sign that something isn't quite right. Perhaps there could be a partial blockage or a twisting of the colon. Stool and gas aren't passing as well as they should. Bloating is a symptom of IBS but because you said this has been 2 months, it is a new symptom and should be assessed by a medical doctor. Movement triggers severe pain for you which is I think a red flag to seek help. This to me doesn't sound like IBS because you have had it for only 2 months this bad so sounds like something is wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone that has responded to my post. I have been under a doctors care for the last five years. It started with chronic fatigue that never really went away then severe cramping in my lower intestines that would then be followed by diarrhea last would last for an hour. I changed my diet and these symptoms slowly went away about after a year. I was left with just the fatigue for a couple of years then about two years ago I started to get this pain just under my rib cage on my left side and bloating that would last for weeks and then finally go away. I had a couple of episodes of the sudden rush of dizziness when I had these pains but not very often. My doctor has done blood test for cancer urine test I have been checked for diabetes. Last month he told me everything pointed to IBS. Then about 6 months ago is when the pain and dizziness became strong enough that I can no longer work. They would eventually go away but this time it has stuck around for longer than it every has. Now I can not even drive a car because the cramping in my stomach hurts so bad.Grandmahurts I also get sweaty and shaky when I have an episode. Even riding in a car can be painfully and a very unpleasant experience.It seems we have the same exact symptoms. At least I know I am not crazy. Now I feel myself slipping into a depression because my life has been taken away. I have done everything I can possible think to do from a very restrictive diet and rest but for right now these symptoms refuse to go away. I am hoping that being able to share my experiences with people who are suffering like me might help me deal with this mentallyMichael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I just signed into this support group. I just got out of the hospital that was a four day stay and this was my third time to go to the hospitals around my area in the last five weeks. My arms are both bruised so badly from tests and IV's and morphine I do not want to see anyone.Anyhow I have been beloated with the pain under my left breast side around my rib and the jabbing pains that I sleep with a heating pad on my left side. I have had fever this time with blood in urine and also throwing up bile.Nobody can understand that I want to eat but I feel like it's killing me to eat. I have so many tests done up & down.I want to learn what I can eat and not have these attacks anymore. I pray for each and everyone of us suffering from this and pray we can find out the proper diet, pills or whatever it takes to be free of this aweful IBS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you everyone that has responded to my post. I have been under a doctors care for the last five years. It started with chronic fatigue that never really went away then severe cramping in my lower intestines that would then be followed by diarrhea last would last for an hour. I changed my diet and these symptoms slowly went away about after a year. I was left with just the fatigue for a couple of years then about two years ago I started to get this pain just under my rib cage on my left side and bloating that would last for weeks and then finally go away. I had a couple of episodes of the sudden rush of dizziness when I had these pains but not very often. My doctor has done blood test for cancer urine test I have been checked for diabetes. Last month he told me everything pointed to IBS. Then about 6 months ago is when the pain and dizziness became strong enough that I can no longer work. They would eventually go away but this time it has stuck around for longer than it every has. Now I can not even drive a car because the cramping in my stomach hurts so bad.Grandmahurts I also get sweaty and shaky when I have an episode. Even riding in a car can be painfully and a very unpleasant experience.It seems we have the same exact symptoms. At least I know I am not crazy. Now I feel myself slipping into a depression because my life has been taken away. I have done everything I can possible think to do from a very restrictive diet and rest but for right now these symptoms refuse to go away. I am hoping that being able to share my experiences with people who are suffering like me might help me deal with this mentallyMichael
Michael I am hoping you will feel a bit better soon. I have found that abdominal massage helps me. I do not know if there is a practitioner of "Arvigo Abdominal Massage" in your area, but it may be worth checking out. I will be having my 5th treatment in a couple of weeks and I always look forward to going! I was also taught how to do the "self care" which I do faithfully every day. It so happens that my practitioner has IBS so is very sympathetic and understanding of what the pain is like. I hope that you will give it a try if you can find someone who does this treatment in your area. To check if there is a licensed practitioner in your area go to www.arvigomassage.com

·
Registered
473 Posts
I suffered bloating nearly 2 years ago and didnt think I would ever get over it.I found out that negative thoughts were making me ill. The "nocebo" effect as its called is just as powerful as the "placebo" effect. The power of positive thought can make you well, and the power of negative thought can make you VERY ill. There are two handy, simple to read, books, that can turn your thinking around (if that is a factor). When I read these books, it was only a week before I began to see incredible improvement, and I havent looked back.The books are listed in my profile.Jackmat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Michael I am hoping you will feel a bit better soon. I have found that abdominal massage helps me. I do not know if there is a practitioner of "Arvigo Abdominal Massage" in your area, but it may be worth checking out. I will be having my 5th treatment in a couple of weeks and I always look forward to going! I was also taught how to do the "self care" which I do faithfully every day. It so happens that my practitioner has IBS so is very sympathetic and understanding of what the pain is like. I hope that you will give it a try if you can find someone who does this treatment in your area. To check if there is a licensed practitioner in your area go to www.arvigomassage.com
Dear JackmatI have just begun one of the books you recommend on your profile and although I am only two days and about 6 chapters into it, I am thrilled to tell you it is working! Thank you for recommending this book. I feel better the last two days than I have in months!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.