Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm at home or round a family member's house, I can eat fine. However, if I go to a restaurant or to the pub for lunch with friends or work collegaues, I have this annoying problem of struggling to swallow my food. Does anyone else have this problem? It's really annoying because I may be hungry but I can't make myself eat. I'm on medication for anxiety but even they haven't helped.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have this problem too. I find it v.difficult to eat in public, I feel awkward and paranoid and the food sticks in my throat. At work I find it helpful go somewhere alone and distract myself with a book while I eat.If I go out to restaurant with my boyfriend I insist we sit in a corner so I can have my back to people. If I go out with other people I make sure I have a drink first- this always works!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I used to refuse to go out to eat. I blamed panic attacks for my adversion to eating out. As soon as I got my panic attacks under control, it was easier to eat out. I still feel more comfortable eating at home, but I do eat out sometimes as well.It was hard to get over the panic attacks, but I did it. I think that as a person ages, it is easier to get over things like panic attacks. Maybe fear of things lessens. I know it has with me. Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.