Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
I have to strain all day and night sometimes usually every ten or twenty minutes at a time if need be. I have been straining for years everyday of my life since high school and I'm 51 now. I think my bladder is messed up or something. My urinary infection won't go away even though I'm on antibiotics and the straining makes it worse I think. If I happen not to strain for about 7 to 24 hours during the night the soreness disappears. I get too uncomfortable if I don't strain with feeling incomplete evacuation and have to get it out.it puts pressure on my bladder if I don't strain it out.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Feeling incomplete is a common complaint from IBSers.Have you been checked for Interstitial Cystitis? It can make you feel like you have a bladder infection when you do not.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feeling incomplete is a common complaint from IBSers.Have you been checked for Interstitial Cystitis? It can make you feel like you have a bladder infection when you do not.
I went to the doctor to have a urinary test done and it came back positive and they told me I did have an infection. I have been on antibiotics for two weeks.I wasn't checked for Cystitis or anything else. I will have to make an appointment to go back and get checked for it. I would feel better knowing.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well if they know there are bacteria it could be an infection. But they may have not picked the right antibiotic and they may need to try a different one. You might call the doctor to see if they can either get you a quick appointment or just prescribe a different antibiotic, especially if you have to wait for an appointment.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if they know there are bacteria it could be an infection. But they may have not picked the right antibiotic and they may need to try a different one. You might call the doctor to see if they can either get you a quick appointment or just prescribe a different antibiotic, especially if you have to wait for an appointment.
I don't have any pain and haven't since I've had this infection. Are you suppose to have pain or bleeding with Cystitis?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
So you have no pain or burning at all with the urinary infection? IC usually has the same pain and/or burning as well as urgency of a urinary tract infection. IC usually doesn't cause bleeding. Usually presents like someone has a bladder infection where the symptoms won't go away when you treat with antibiotics and/or you can't find any bacteria. Usually you need symptoms for a far amount of time.If you have urgency but no pain or burning that usually is more overactive bladder, and they treat that much like IBS is treated, with antispasmodics.

·
Banned
39 Posts
So you have no pain or burning at all with the urinary infection? IC usually has the same pain and/or burning as well as urgency of a urinary tract infection. IC usually doesn't cause bleeding. Usually presents like someone has a bladder infection where the symptoms won't go away when you treat with antibiotics and/or you can't find any bacteria. Usually you need symptoms for a far amount of time.If you have urgency but no pain or burning that usually is more overactive bladder, and they treat that much like IBS is treated, with antispasmodics.
I had burning but not when peeing. Kind of itchy too. Can the straining be causing these symptoms maybe? My bladder area gets more sensitive and sore when straining.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Constantly straining isn't likely to be good for anything down there. Don't know what specifically it could cause.However if they took a culture and found bacteria it makes sense to first get checked to see if that is gone or if you just need a different antibiotic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts