Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,this may sound crazy, but I was wondering about something. I have had IBS-D and bad cramping for 11 years now, and have gone to work through it all, but now have had to stop working. My husband and I decided it was time for me to stay home, because it was getting harder and harder to make it through work without uncomfortable cramping and urges (if you know what I mean) Anyway, as you all probably know it is sooo hard to live on one income. I have tried to look for work to do from home, but have only found scams or building my own business stuff. I desperatly wanted to find something I can do legitamatley from home, data entry, billing, etc. Anyway besides that my question seems to be that with so many of us being affected by this inconvienient illness, there must be something out there to help those of us who can't work outside the home. I hate to sound like a lazy person, because I am most definitley not, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any GOV funding or some illness/disabl. funding to help us out financially even a tiny bit. I know it sounds far fetched, but my husband and I have been discussing it. My dear husband had taken on a lot of side jobs and extra work, but I know he is so tired and I feel bad for him. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try taking Esdifan which takes care of the pains and cramping and stops the diarrhea. You will probably be better off being functional and going back to work than trying to live off one income because of IBS.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS is not on the SS list of automatically covered diseases. People with other things can get disability, but it can be very difficult and you really have to be able to prove that no treatment works and there is no way you can work.Most of the best work from home things are either you build a business on your own and work from home or you work with a business in your area that has work they can let you do by telecommuting. So don't look at the "work from home ads" but call actual businesses in your area and find out what they have available (some places will do the you have to come in for X amount of training in the office and you may need to come in for X hours a week for meetings and things, but most of the computer drudge work can be done at home).What treatments have you tried for this? Do you have a doctor who will actually treat you? You may need to find a new doctor. While there are some people who never find a treatment that works, most people find something that makes them well enough to function better.K.

G

·
KimberHave you tried any of the diet recommendations by Heather on www....com? I have been living with ibs.d for over 30 years now (including removal of gallbladder in 1983) and despite all my best efforts, colonoscopies, supportive doctor, in recent months I have been much worse and have struggled to go out at all. (I am ill-health retired due to back pain). Since I found this site and .. I have learnt so much. I started by taking the Acacia Soluble Fiber(which Heather sells) - I did that for 2 months along with making the adaptions to my diet which heather suggests (not 100% I must confess!). Then just after Christmas I started taking Calcium tablets (as described by Linda on this site) - I have not had a miraculous result but I have achieved some improvement. I found that adjusting my diet to soluble fiber instead of the insoluble fibers (which I have lived on for years!) certainly made a difference and then with the Acacia added I have much less pain now. This week I have added Acidophilus (spelling??) and am hoping that will help too. This condition is something many of us have been battling with for many years and I think that sometimes we expect a result immediately - however I am still plodding on and hoping that over a longer period (maybe a year) I will achieve further stability.I am now gradually introducing some of the insoluble fibers back into my diet (I have started with wholemeal bread because I am not keen on white) and I am hoping that I will be able to tolerate it now I have some stability with the fiber supplement and calcium tablets.Hope this is of some help to you - I have found it very discouraging to keep going but I am and comments on this site and Heathers have helped immensley.JudithCoventry, UK.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi there,Sorry I don't have any help for you on finding decent jobs, but I can tell you that there was a thread a while back (maybe over a year) on people's stories about trying to get disability, etc. You might be able to find it using the search function.Edited to add: Actually just tried the search myself, and there were many many hits. I couldn't find the thread I was thinking of, but I didn't really spend much time looking. Good luck!Job-wise, do you have inclinations toward any type of art or anything like that? An artsy friend of mine just started a business making and selling handbags from her home and is loving it. (When she told me about it, the first thing I thought was that it'd be the perfect job for me... alone with a bathroom all day, HEAVEN!)

·
Registered
136 Posts
As for the disablilty, I've also heard that it is difficult to qualify. Perhaps if you have anxiety as well you may be able to obtain the disability benefits.I have been taking calcium carbonate pills (make sure there isn't any magnesium in them...causes D)for a few months now. I have also started Digestive Advantage chewables and they seem to take away the urgent feeling.If you are still unable to get relief from these remedies, I do have a job suggestion. It is not glamorous but a few years ago when I couldn't work from IBS, I cleaned houses. You can make pretty good money, make your own schedule and you are near a bathroom! It helped me get by during a time when my husband was the only one working. I started cleaning friends of friends' houses and then they would recommend me to other people. I eventually got very tired of it and stopped doing it but it is a great stepping stone. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry things are bad for you. One field you might consider is medical transcription. But it seems you got a lot of good advice here.Yes, I was very involved in the long threads a while back about disability. Dang if the login name of the person asking about it just escapes me. If I think of it, I will post back here.I think it was just last summer that it was one here.This person had been denied disability benefits despite many medical problems including IBS -D with pain. If you have time, keep searching..I know it was on this diarrhea bulletin board.Wait- I think it may have been Goldy...but not sure. (the person asking about disability)Good luck. I manage to work, luckily I don't have the pain and cramping-just the unpredictable bowels. (18 year sufferer) I've thought of doing something at home, but I feel I need to be out and among people or I'd go nuts. This is the first year I have no kids at home, and that is harder than I thought it would be too.Jeanne

·
Registered
441 Posts
Kimber- it is Goldy that went through an experience with disability. Look under a recent thread about imodium..and keep going until you see her name. Maybe you could send a post right to her.Jeanne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.