Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing alot about sugar/complex sugars..grains wheat and other stuff but maily sugar and i'm curious.My husband went on the Dr' Atkins diet a while ao and did very well on it..he lost 50 pounds in one month..well i read the book and it also suggests that people with digestive problems such as ourselves could ALSO benefit from cutting out all this sugar we all eat now adays,so i was thinking of trying it..not the diet but the sugar part..no wheat,or milk or sugar..just meat and a little vegitables..but i'm not sure because it is a very expensive diet to be eating meat all the time and very time consuming..so if any of you have any thought or tested this theory out let me know.. i'd like to hear it.-------------------Cadia-Baker that can't eat her own Cheessecake..lol http:www.cakesbynikki.com

G

·
yes i eat only meat, veg, fruit, and nuts. it helps me alot. no sugar just honey. i have ibs-D. no sugar substitute either. i don't find the diet expensive. i live in the north so i eat alot of wild meat, its free. vegetables are expensive here and not much variety. No starches: rice, potatoes, grains are allowed in this diet. this diet has stopped my diarrhea and bloating. no more gas either. i feel much better eating this way.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cadia,I too have wondered about this "sugar" thing. One of the first doctors I went to with this "####" (no pun intended, really!!) told me to eat "bread, meat and potatoes" and to cut fruits and veggies. I think this was to give my stomach a break from digesting all the fiber and sugar in fruit, etc. He said he wouldn't have told me to do this if I was middle aged, (or older) but since I was 24 at the time, he thought my digestion would still function. I had a hard time sticking to that diet, so I can't tell you if it helped at all, but I thought that you mignt want to know that a real-life (
) doctor suggested it!Good luck!Jill

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cadia - Yes a low sugar/low carbo diet really does help. Even though I'm on a low carbo diet I'm not extremly low (like the Atkins diet) where I would go into ketosis.Wanda, does the sugar in the fruit bother you?

G

·
I am also on a low carb diet based on the book "Protein Power" by Dr's Michael and Mary Dan Eades. It is not strict like everything I hear of the Atkins diet. I am an IBS-D and it has helped alot, but I still have to watch the dairy products. Also I take Caltrate Plus once a day.

G

·
I have found a book that finally makes sense of what we eat and how it affects us. It's called "Sugar Busters". You have to read the book it's much too complex to explain. It's interesting and informative. It explains why the culprit isn't only fat, it is too much sugar. Sugar causes the production of insulin, which, in large amounts, keeps you from losing weight, no matter how strictly you diet or how often you exercise. This way of eating helps diabetics. It steers you away from overhyped (and insulin-stimulating) foods such as potatoes and pasta, white bread and white rice, carrots and corn-and leads you toward a sensible consumption of delicious foods once considered taboo. It doesn't mean you can't eat bread, pasta, etc. It means you can't eat white bread, etc. You can eat whole wheat and grain bread, wheat pasta, etc, If you can't buy the book, go to the library and look it over. I think, for me anyway, understanding what sugar does to our bodies, and how powerful insulin is and what it does to our bodies, gave me a better understanding that this really makes sense. It took me a while to read it, and digest it. Now I am ready to go on it. I wish there were some of you that would like to try it also and we could start at the same time and compare notes. Let me know. If you can't buy it or get to the library, I'll try to put together what you can and can't eat.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Sugar busters is just another fad diet like Atkins. Your best bet for a diet is to see a registered dietician.

G

·
I agree there are many "fads" regarding dieting. I won't waste my time debating that. Read the book, it's not a diet. Read it before you put it down.......then offer your opinion.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Sugar busters is a fad diet. It�s that simple.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Ditto Molly and others. I agree most diets are fads and unhealthy. I try and do the sensible thing here and modify the low sugar diets so they are more healthy, much like a diabetics diet, except I try and limit the artificial sweeteners as too much of these can be bad too. I don't do it for weight loss, but because I definitely think sugars are the culprit with me cadia. Sorry about your cheesecake business that you can make and not eat. I love cheesecake too. I ordered a great decorated kind for our 25th and tried hard not to eat more than a couple of very small pieces. I didn't want to blow it. I was on Diflucan at the time, so I think that prevented my symptoms from flaring up too much like the last time when I OD'd on them. I do think fruit juices too, are a no-no unfortunately, as I was drinking enormous amounts of them when I was having my stooling problems. ------------------

G

·
Cadia - I love cheesecake too! It's right up there with ice cream in my book! But alas, I can't eat it either (well I can, but the payday comes all too quickly!). Yes, I've been on the Atkins Diet since April and when I stick to it faithfully, I feel sooooo much better!Pati - the Protein Power diet is a good one, too.Alley - so is the Sugar Busters diet (by the way, 3 of the 4 authors on that one are M.D.s!). For all of you interested in what sugar does to our bodies, you might also want to read a book called "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty. It's one of the best I've read on the subject. Debbie[This message has been edited by debidoo (edited 09-14-1999).]

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
3 of the 4 authors are MDs. Wow! What did you think they were going to put down as their credentials, that are cooks at MickyDs?They are all trying to sell books to make money. They make it up and you buy it up. In the beginning, the placebo effect makes you feel good. Except in the end, you suffer and they go sailing the Carribean. Can you imagine what one of the MickyDs-educated Sugar Buster authors says to William Duffy one early morning out their yacht, �do you want syrup with your pancakes?�[This message has been edited by flux (edited 09-13-1999).]

G

·
Flux,Imagine that - people who pay upwards of a quarter million dollars for their medical education, not to mention a good 10 years of their life - and they have the nerve to try to make money using their knowledge! Shame on them, the dirty so-and-sos! Oh, what's that you say? You're also using your knowledge to make money at what you do? How terribly capitalistic of you! Oh yeah - I guess I am too. Well if they're going to hell for their crimes, I guess we'll be meeting them there! Flux - people pay for an education primarily because they want to make money - not because they want to save the world. You can say that about all doctors who charge a fee for their services. You can also say that about all network administrators or electrical engineers (unless they are working as volunteers - not bloody likely!). There's no such thing as altruism in the work-a-day world. Anyone who works for a living is doing it for the money (would you show up for work tomorrow if they told you they were going to quit paying you?) - so what's your point? Does it follow that they don't know what they are talking about? As for the quality of their education, you can rest assured none of them attended MDU. Morrison C. Bethea, M.D., is a graduate of Davidson College and Tulane University School of Medicine. He completed his postgraduate training in thoracic and cardiac surgery at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. He currently practices thoracic, cardiac, and vascular surgery in New Orleans. He is the medical consultant to Freeport-McMoRan, Inc., for its worldwide operations and sits on the board of Taylor Energy and Tenet's Memorial Medical Center in New Orleans. Dr. Bethea has authored many publications in the field of cardiovascular disease and is a diplomate of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.Samuel S. Andrews, M.D., is a graduate of Louisiana State University School of Medicine. He currently practices endocrinology with the Audobon Internal Medicine Group. He is a fellow in the American Colleges of Physicians and Endocrinology. He is also a clinical associate professor of medicine at Louisiana State University and a member of the pancreatic transplant team. Luis A. Balart, M.D., is a graduate of Louisiana State University School of Medicine. He completed training in gastroenterology at Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans and in hepatology at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. Dr. Balart practices gastroenterology and hepatology at Tenet's Memorial Center in New Orleans and is clinical associate professor of medicine at Louisiana State University in New Orleans. He is currently involved in several clinical trials in the treatment of chronic viral hepatitis and is medical director of the Louisiana State University Liver Transplant Program.Debbie

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
The reputations of these guys from what you posted below makes me suspicious. Many of these guys are older, which means they can get tenure and write whatever they want that the Earth is flat, the holocaust never happened and nobody can�t touch them.Does it make sense a cardiothoracic surgeon who hasn�t published anything in the last 20 years is writing about sugar? How does somone like that get into this topic (unless he himself is obese). Same with Balart. He is into the liver, not obesity. Andrews seems to be studying this, so I don�t know about him. Maybe these guys just flunked Nutrition 101 or maybe they are just crooks (probably many capitalists are not altruists, but many are not crooks either), I don�t know, but this is ultimately irrelevant because the people who do count in this regard are food and nutrition scientists, and these out of place doctrors won�t be joining any of their boards or taking positions in that field anytime soon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here we go again....I get such a kick out of this argument!However, it does seem to me that, whatever fad diet some of us follow, there appears to be a trend in many of us getting better when we cut down on the refined sugars and complex carbs. I am sure I am not educated on this as much has I should be, all I know is that when I eat a piece of cake, a cookie or bread, or pasta, I really pay for it. But fruits don't bother me. Why don't we stick with what works for us, even though not everyone agrees or understands it?I do agree that a sugar busters or Dr. Atkins diet can be bad as a life-long plan. You can loose 50 lbs in a month, but in a few months at that rate you are dead. We are all talking about a weight loss plan, but some of us have modified it to become and IBS control plan. I hae been doing a low-carb diet for three months now, and I lost 7 pounds the first month and none since. Sure, I cheat, but occasionally and in small quantities because I now have identified what will cause me much grief. So, I have to ask myself if its worth it.Just my thoughts, and IMHO.------------------Veni, vedi, vici!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yea I avoid it. Except ice cream. Weird huh? I used to eat large amonts of it compared to now days. Actually I just avoid sugary carbohydrates like cakes, cookies etc. Gives me nausea. BTW I have gastritis of unknow origins. Might still have a ulcer too. My doctor doesn't seem to give a ###### , he just keeps giving me prilosec. arn't ulcers supposed to clear up after some amount of time on antacids? Shouldn't he scope it out again? This is doctor number 4.

G

·
Flux,You wonder why a cardiovascular surgeon would be interested in the effects of diet on health? Oh gosh, I dunno. Maybe because 7 of the 10 major arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk factors can be controlled by diet (the 10 risk factors being heredity, smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, elevated cholesterol, elevated triglycerides, obesity, stress, sugar, and a sedentary lifestyle)?As for Balart being "into the liver", well, it's the liver that converts amino acids into glucose, which is important for maintaining normal energy requirements during periods of low carbohydrate consumption. It's nice to have someone on the team who is knowledgeable about that process, don't you think? Did you miss the fact that he also practices gastroenterology? Hmmmm. I wonder why a gastroenterologist would be concerned about diet? That's a stumper, huh Flux?The $64,000 question here is why a computer support person is writing about IBS? Got any answers on that one, Flux?Debbie

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.