Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! I've been suffering from IBS since I was 18 (I'm now in my 30's), and D is my primary symptom. My nerves and bad eating habits seem to really aggravate the symptoms.Also, I noticed that after eating (especially after eating out), if I do any walking afterwards, my symptoms become urgent and unbearable. I feel like I can't live a normal life unless I plan my social outings around my IBS.I also noticed that my symptoms become worse during my menstral cycle.Several people have submitted letters to the Pharmacy section of our local newspaper that coconut macaroons work great for D. They're terribly high in fat however, so I'm not crazy about trying them.Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I can definitely relate to everything you wrote. I tried many natural remedies to control the big D ( peppermint tea, calcium carbonate pills, probiotics, etc). I recently found a wonderful doctor who is doing many tests on me. She wants to rule out celiac disease which I hope I do not have since I am already lactose intolerant. She put me on a small dose of Amitriptylin, an anti-depressant, to help with the pain and constipation is one of the side effects. The first three days I was sooo tired I didn't think I could handle it. Then, I was fine except in the mornings I don't want to get out of bed but I am always like that! I would suggest that you see a doctor to rule out other things like food intolerances first (if you haven't already). I was also given Nulev which is a fast acting pill that dissolves on your tongue to stop diarrhea. You might want to see about taking that....just some ideas. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
YEs alot of us women are affected for better or worse during our periods
most of us for the worse! unrefined cocconut oil, slippery elm, aloe vera juice/gel, try them one at a time they may help you
puttin on a few pounds and being normal is better than having to make conversation with the toilet! and if the puttin on weight puts you off goto the gyms, take the kids for a walk or dog whichever suits your life
i find walk and dancing reduce my urgency most of the time
but not always sometimes i find sitting a problem esp if its been a bad day and its sore adn inflammed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Even when my IBS is not flaring up I have IBS type symptoms during my cycle. I can distinquish though due to the pain. I tend to have worse pain when it is not hormonal related stomach behavior...

G

·
80's girl (I'd have thought you were too young to be an 80's girl if you're only in your 30's - must be late 80's girl - I'm an early 80's gal - I'm 42!!) - anyhoo - yes, like you, my I~BS is a whole heap worse when that happy time of the month comes around. I'm normally on the constipated side but deffo more fluid during menstruation. Water seems to be a magic ingredient for me - calms things down a lot and helps stave off cystitis if, like me, you're prone to that.Take careSue, Manchester

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.