Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago my doctor diagnosed me with IBS. I primarily have the D-type symptoms but sometimes I have symptoms of C as well. Because of the extreme pain I often go through with IBS, the doctor prescribed Donnatelle (Belladonna) - a sedative to help with my symptoms. After taking it for a year, I'm beginning to doubt how much help it's really been, as most of my symptoms still remain the same. Has anyone else tried this drug in association with IBS?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes, I tried it many years ago. It helped a little bit for a while but then didnt work well at all. I have had more luck with pain issues with low dose elavil, but remember that everyone is different and reacts differently. Hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took it and noticed no change until about a week had passed, but the doctor said the effect of the drug is NOT cumulative, so perhaps the decrease in pain was just the IBS bout subsiding again. I stopped taking it and my system stabilized without medicines.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I took it occasionally -- it seemed to help when I had really bad cramps. What your doctor said seems right-- I'm pretty sure Donnatal is taken as needed, when you have cramps, not on a regular basis. You probably alreay know, but Donnatal has 1/4th grain of phenobarbital (a barbiturate) and belladonna (an anti-spasmodic). The phenobarbital made me feel a little loopy, and the belladonna alkaloids (e.g., atropine) made my mouth really dry and actually blurred my vision a little bit, so I've switched to Librax when I have bad cramps from IBS. Librax is similar to Donnatal-- instead of phenobarbital, it has a small amount of chlordiazepoxide (related to Valium) along with clidinium (another antispasmodic). I've found that Librax works almost as well, but with fewer side effects.Your body builds a tolerance to barbiturates really quickly, so I would imagine if you took Donnatal every day, the sedative/calming effects would decrease and the drug would not work as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.