Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there takes Kytril and whether it was effective for their IBS-D. Just curious in case anything were to happen with Lotonex (heaven forfend!) it would be nice to know there was a backup drug.I would ask about Zofran but its so ridiculously expensive.Thanks, Stuart.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stuart,Believe it or not, Kytril is even more expensive than Zofran. Before, I didn't think that was possible, but check any reputable online pharmacy and you'll see it's something like $40+ per pill.I think this is due to the fact that these drugs are usually taken for short periods of time and the sales aren't exactly astronomical (Zofran made about $200 million in 2004), so the high price is necessary for these drugs to make a profit. We'll see how much the price comes down when Zofran loses patent protection next year and Kytril (I think) in 2007. You would think that the makers of some of the newer 5-HT3 antagonists for chemotherapy (Anzemet, Aloxi) would be interested in studying those drugs for an indication for IBS (given the higher sales potential), as Astellas is for its drug Nasea (ramosetron) in Japan, but unfortunately I don't think that is currently the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.