Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke to my stomach doc and he suggested Miralex for constipation. Anyone take it and if so, does it work?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Beach, I have heard some good things about this for some people, its worth a try.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Beach, I have heard some good things about this for some people, its worth a try.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi BeachI just started Miralax within the last week for C - the 3rd and 4th day I switched to D, but now it's calming down and hopefully starting to normalize.There's quite a few comments about Miralax - just do a search - especially in the archives.I take it in Kool-Aid and only taste an aftertaste if I haven't dissolved it completely.Karen

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi BeachI just started Miralax within the last week for C - the 3rd and 4th day I switched to D, but now it's calming down and hopefully starting to normalize.There's quite a few comments about Miralax - just do a search - especially in the archives.I take it in Kool-Aid and only taste an aftertaste if I haven't dissolved it completely.Karen

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I took it for awhile but it caused really loose stools. It is safe and effective and can be used for a long time with no problems. I suspect it is necessary to adjust the dose so it works for you.For now Citrucel is working well for me.------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I took it for awhile but it caused really loose stools. It is safe and effective and can be used for a long time with no problems. I suspect it is necessary to adjust the dose so it works for you.For now Citrucel is working well for me.------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
318 Posts
Like Vikee said, it is effective for long term use, despite what's on the label. The doc that prescribed it for me made this very clear. (There are also comments about usage in the archives)Karen

·
Registered
318 Posts
Like Vikee said, it is effective for long term use, despite what's on the label. The doc that prescribed it for me made this very clear. (There are also comments about usage in the archives)Karen

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have posted several times regarding my experience with Miralax. I have been taking it for almost 10 months now. At first, it was very effective, but after the first three months or so, my body started to adjust to it. It has gradually become less effective and I am having to resort to other means in combination with the Miralax to move my bowels. It did not cause any cramping or nausea like so many other laxatives. I do get mild bloating and a significant increase in the amount of flatulence. Give it a try, though. For many people, it has been a breakthrough in treating chronic constipation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have posted several times regarding my experience with Miralax. I have been taking it for almost 10 months now. At first, it was very effective, but after the first three months or so, my body started to adjust to it. It has gradually become less effective and I am having to resort to other means in combination with the Miralax to move my bowels. It did not cause any cramping or nausea like so many other laxatives. I do get mild bloating and a significant increase in the amount of flatulence. Give it a try, though. For many people, it has been a breakthrough in treating chronic constipation.

G

·
Sean, I was hoping you wouldn't say that
I think Kmottus posted some info about getting off of laxatives recently. If you can't find it, maybe she'll post it again. Good luck to you in getting off of this stuff.

G

·
Sean, I was hoping you wouldn't say that
I think Kmottus posted some info about getting off of laxatives recently. If you can't find it, maybe she'll post it again. Good luck to you in getting off of this stuff.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Typically what you want to do to get off of laxative (or overuse of enemas or other things like that) is to work on retraining the colon.Usually that means upping fiber and water so you have enough bulk for the colon to work with and enough water to keep things moist and thus easier to pass.Typically what you want to do is retain the body. Since the colon is normally more active about an hour or so after meals going to the toilet and staying there for 15 minutes or so after each meal as that is when you are most likely to naturally move the bowels. What you want to do is get your body to associate sitting on the toilet with going. Sitting on it for hours straining trains you to sit on the toilet and strain. If you don't go then wait for the next scheduled time--unless of course you get a signal that you are ready to go now, and you can tell the real ready to go from the constipation feelings. If you can't tell then stick to the schedule, but you want to try to figure out what is a real signal that you need to go and then not ignore them.It can mean putting up with some discomfort while the body is learning how to funciton again. It may also help to taper off whatever you are doing slowly in some cases. Take/do less, then spread them out so if it is daily go to every other day, then every third day...K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-22-2001).]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts