Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Aloe vera juice may relieve constipation.The latex part of the juice can be a laxative and some people do not recommend it for that use as it can be irritating. The latex is what gives aloe juice the bitter taste.see http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelate...s/DSH/aloe.html see www.peoplespharmacy.com
quote:Special Precautions Latex: * Pregnant women must avoid aloe latex; use has been known to trigger abortion or premature birth. * Nursing mothers should take this laxative only under medical supervision. * Children must not take aloe latex. * Women who are menstruating should not use aloe latex, as it may increase blood flow. * Aloe latex may be very dangerous when there is an intestinal blockage and must be avoided in such cases. * Aloe latex is not appropriate for people with intestinal inflammation such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, and it should not be taken by people with inflamed hemorrhoids. * People with kidney problems should avoid aloe latex. Adverse Effects Latex: The most serious difficulties encountered with aloe latex occur at higher than recommended doses or when used for more than a few days. This laxative herb causes the loss of potassium and other minerals, which over time can result in a loss of muscle tone of the intestine and diminished effectiveness. Frequent use may cause irreversible damage. Large doses of aloe have caused bloody diarrhea, kidney damage, and even death.
Like everything else it may not hurt you, but like everything else there are potential dangers as well.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-25-2001).][This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Aloe vera juice may relieve constipation.The latex part of the juice can be a laxative and some people do not recommend it for that use as it can be irritating. The latex is what gives aloe juice the bitter taste.see http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelate...s/DSH/aloe.html see www.peoplespharmacy.com
quote:Special Precautions Latex: * Pregnant women must avoid aloe latex; use has been known to trigger abortion or premature birth. * Nursing mothers should take this laxative only under medical supervision. * Children must not take aloe latex. * Women who are menstruating should not use aloe latex, as it may increase blood flow. * Aloe latex may be very dangerous when there is an intestinal blockage and must be avoided in such cases. * Aloe latex is not appropriate for people with intestinal inflammation such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, and it should not be taken by people with inflamed hemorrhoids. * People with kidney problems should avoid aloe latex. Adverse Effects Latex: The most serious difficulties encountered with aloe latex occur at higher than recommended doses or when used for more than a few days. This laxative herb causes the loss of potassium and other minerals, which over time can result in a loss of muscle tone of the intestine and diminished effectiveness. Frequent use may cause irreversible damage. Large doses of aloe have caused bloody diarrhea, kidney damage, and even death.
Like everything else it may not hurt you, but like everything else there are potential dangers as well.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-25-2001).][This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I use Aloe with great success and I know a lot of other people with Crohn's who use it as well. The liquid can help with nausea and upper GI problems where the capsules tend to work better for lower GI problems.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I use Aloe with great success and I know a lot of other people with Crohn's who use it as well. The liquid can help with nausea and upper GI problems where the capsules tend to work better for lower GI problems.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was told that there is only one Aloe Vera juice that is good to take. It is George's Aloe Vera juice http://www.carolbond.com/search.asp?item=657 You can purchase this at most health food stores. I don't know this information for sure but there is a guy in town that runs a health food store and he's got tons of knowlege. People call him to consult about everything. He carries this brand and said it's the only aloe vera juice worth the money.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was told that there is only one Aloe Vera juice that is good to take. It is George's Aloe Vera juice http://www.carolbond.com/search.asp?item=657 You can purchase this at most health food stores. I don't know this information for sure but there is a guy in town that runs a health food store and he's got tons of knowlege. People call him to consult about everything. He carries this brand and said it's the only aloe vera juice worth the money.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Kmottus, I've not ever read that aloe vera juice causes loss of potasium and minerals and that it causes long term problems. Could you refer me to your article or research? I've been using 8oz daily and I feel it is helping me. Not as much gas, better BM's, no D, less intestinal distress. Thanks,Tiss

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Kmottus, I've not ever read that aloe vera juice causes loss of potasium and minerals and that it causes long term problems. Could you refer me to your article or research? I've been using 8oz daily and I feel it is helping me. Not as much gas, better BM's, no D, less intestinal distress. Thanks,Tiss

·
Registered
568 Posts
In my herbal experimental days (about 6 months of a total 24 years of IBS D) I used aloe vera juice which was a wonder for my GERD but a horror for the D. The guy at GNC talked me into it as a help for IBS - little did I know it was IBS C that it helps. Just goes to show that the public at large know very little about our disease. My neighbor was having a terrible time with C and her doctor recommended aloe vera. It has done wonders for her. So, in the end aloe vera would be a great help for those suffering from C and GERD.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In my herbal experimental days (about 6 months of a total 24 years of IBS D) I used aloe vera juice which was a wonder for my GERD but a horror for the D. The guy at GNC talked me into it as a help for IBS - little did I know it was IBS C that it helps. Just goes to show that the public at large know very little about our disease. My neighbor was having a terrible time with C and her doctor recommended aloe vera. It has done wonders for her. So, in the end aloe vera would be a great help for those suffering from C and GERD.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Tiss the quote is from the people's pharmacy web site that is in the original post.They have an herbal library there and you can scroll down to aloe on the list.Any laxative can cause imbalances in potasium if you lose too much fluids out that way. If you are not getting diarrhea from it then you may be OK, but dosage is important.I don't know if small doses would do that, but using large doses (in the more is better and much much more must be much much much much better approach that some people have to natural substances) could be problematic."The dose makes the poison" and virtually everything has adverse side effects if you take too much of it.I think there may be an issue of how much latex is in any given aloe vera juice preparation. Pure latex may be more problematic that a juice that has just a little bit of the latex (bitter yellow stuff from under the leaves) may be safer (and tastes better) than stuff that has alot of latex. Although for constipation you want the latex in there as that is the laxative part of the plant.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Tiss the quote is from the people's pharmacy web site that is in the original post.They have an herbal library there and you can scroll down to aloe on the list.Any laxative can cause imbalances in potasium if you lose too much fluids out that way. If you are not getting diarrhea from it then you may be OK, but dosage is important.I don't know if small doses would do that, but using large doses (in the more is better and much much more must be much much much much better approach that some people have to natural substances) could be problematic."The dose makes the poison" and virtually everything has adverse side effects if you take too much of it.I think there may be an issue of how much latex is in any given aloe vera juice preparation. Pure latex may be more problematic that a juice that has just a little bit of the latex (bitter yellow stuff from under the leaves) may be safer (and tastes better) than stuff that has alot of latex. Although for constipation you want the latex in there as that is the laxative part of the plant.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I use it, it helps with my IBS D which is kinda weird as it is used as a laxitive. i used to have and may still have gastritis so maybe thats were the main benifit is coming from? some people us it in a pill form.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I use it, it helps with my IBS D which is kinda weird as it is used as a laxitive. i used to have and may still have gastritis so maybe thats were the main benifit is coming from? some people us it in a pill form.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The only warning I have read about Aloe is not to take it with steroids. The reason is the "above mentioned" by Kmottus. Other than that I have heard it is perfectly safe. If you have diverticuli, Celiac's or IBD then it would probably benefit you the most (whether or not you are C or D) since aloe aids in healing lesions in your intestines.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The only warning I have read about Aloe is not to take it with steroids. The reason is the "above mentioned" by Kmottus. Other than that I have heard it is perfectly safe. If you have diverticuli, Celiac's or IBD then it would probably benefit you the most (whether or not you are C or D) since aloe aids in healing lesions in your intestines.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use the juice regularly and I think its wonderful. I like the fact I can control the dose because I am IBS C/D so I have to maintain a delicate balance to not get D. It helps me with my C without being too harsh on my system.I use between 1 & 2 ounces per day mixed with a little Gatorade to make it taste better. The flavor straight reminds me a little of soapy water. I prefer it mixed and it tastes better.P.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.