Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,someone suggested caltrate once a day to help with gas and spasms. anyone get any relief using calcium?leslie

·
Registered
258 Posts
leslie,I have read that many people find relief from calcium. I'm not sure if it helps with gas (someone else may have the answer), but I have heard it helps with D. However, you will want to beware of the chewable calcium supplements as they have lactose in them (this is if you are lactose intolerant, which many of us are). A while back, I took the chewable kind for about two days and had horrible D. I just started taking 1000 mg of oyster shell calcium (the kind you swallow) and my IBS has not been acting up at all. This may be coincidence, but I have a lot of triggers right now (disagreement with hubby, having my period, etc). You should give it a try. What will it hurt? We can all use the extra calcium anyway!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
what excessive gas?
quote:(this is if you are lactose intolerant, which many of us are).
Really?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You might want to check Lnape's prior calcium posts. Her suggestion for c/g, of calcium citrate with magnesium (starting very slowly) may not be a cure for the gas, but have found it helpful. Plain psyllium husks turned out to work better for me than Metamucil/Citrucel because of their other ingredients. Do you drink extra water after the fiber? I read your other posts and the loud sounds are so embarrassing, aren't they? Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,it just occurred to me last night that maybe i'm getting too much overall fiber in my diet. i eat cereal or oatmeal for breakfast w/lactaid milk and often as a late night snack. a sandwich w/ww bread for lunch. maybe it would help to switch to rice cereal which contains no fiber. i'm starting to wonder what ever to eat anymore?! what does anyone eat for breakfast that isn't gas producing?leslie

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I never have breakfast if I have to go anywhere. It may not be the food which is causing gas. You may be suffering from post prandial symptoms where your colon is going into over drive after meals and passing along the gas which is already there from previous meals. That is my experience anyhow- since whatever I eat causes gas.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:what does anyone eat for breakfast that isn't gas producing?
Why do you think anything you eat is?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Look in the IBS FAQ section top of the board and scroll to Whats this about calcium as a treatment for some info.Regards

·
Registered
125 Posts
LeslieAfter reading this post click your back button twice and look at top left under INFORMATION FORUMS and then follow the previous link.Hope this helps.If not give me another shout I'll just go back and make sure myself.Wishing you well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
leslie,Just ignore Flux. For some reason he/she has to question every question.If you say you have excessive gas, then I believe you! Funny enough IBS tends to cause excessive gas at times! And yes, many of us IBSers are lactose intolerant (apparently you are leslie, or you wouldn't be eating your cereal with lactaid milk). In addition, the chewable calcium supplements state right on the label that they have lactose in them.If you are experiencing gas in the morning, you may be eating dinner too late. If I eat a big meal after about 6:30pm, I wake up the next morning incredibly bloated and gassy.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Funny enough IBS tends to cause excessive gas at times!
There is no such evidence.
quote:And yes, many of us IBSers are lactose intolerant
LI, or more properly lactose maldigestion, occurs as much as in IBSers as it does it normal people.
quote:(apparently you are leslie, or you wouldn't be eating your cereal with lactaid milk)
For the most part, it does not require treatment. Most LI sufferers can handle dairy in modest amounts.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I would just like to caution you not to eliminate too many foods from your diets. You will become malnourished and have to deal with other kinds of diseases due to that and still not be satisfied with your diet from an IBS point of view.

·
Registered
258 Posts
flux,I am not looking for an argument here. All I said was people who suffer from IBS tend to have other digestive problems as well, such as gas, lactose intolerance, reflux, etc. Rather there is evidence or not. If they didn't, then why are there so many IBS sufferers posting here about gas and on other areas of this web site?In addition, I never suggested that anyone eliminate any types of foods from their diets causing malnutrition. I simply meant that maybe eating dinner earlier may help with the gas problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bonniei,yes, i agree. i think it's obviously physically healthier and actually mentally healthier to include as many foods as possible. i still think i'll try cutting down on fiber and staying away from soy for a while.leslie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lissylou,thanks for your suggestion. i usually eat cereal before i go to sleep. maybe i'll avoid that for a while.leslie

·
Registered
548 Posts
You could get lactaid. I think that can help if you like dairy products. IBS is really a nothing disorder. It's not like diseases where if you have it everybody that has it is the same. There's apparently no way to treat it in a uniform manner. Flux seems skeptical about all of it, and I'm beginning to get that way myself. Actually I probably have been about most everything most of my life. I have continual gas whether I eat or not. This is not from stress. It has just happened to me. I can eat, not eat, it doesn't matter. I've gotten some relief doing a wide range of annoying things, but the gas is always there inside me. Try getting some simethicone. Brand names Phazyme Ultra, Gas-X. Combine with the Lacaid, or generic equivalent. If that helps you might be on the right track. Also Altoids help some people, I eat a couple when I feel it getting uncontrollable. If they don't help, try eliminating gassy foods, and buy some beano. Some people use other digestive enzymes you can go to GNC in America, or a health food store, or use the internet. I hate to say it, but it's a downhill adventure that I don't like partaking in, but lot's of trial and error is all you can do.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Oh, and the calcium carbonate probably will give you gas. Calcium is a constipator. Calcium Citrate costs more, but it might not be as constipating. I eat a lot of maalox, and you know I've got gas.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts