Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the Atkins and that was the one time in the last 2 years I had NO incidence.
I notice alot of notes to the same effect.
I am interested in knowing how many see a major difference with carb reduction?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hootowl-Hope by now you have read all posts by weeblewobble25. I, too, experienced alot less IBS problems when doing Atkins. WW25 quoted an article on Glutamine stating it is found naturally in foods high in protein!! I went off Atkins for awhile and started having problems, and that is when I found this wonderful board. I have gone back to high protein, low carb diet and am adding glutamine 3x a day. Good Luck, luki

·
Registered
187 Posts
I find things move along a lot smoother (pun fully intended!) when I stay away from WHEAT and DAIRY. I have gotten to enjoy Spelt bread instead of whole wheat and soy milk instead of regular milk. The veggie cheeses take a little getting used to, but are pretty decent when grilled in a sandwich or added to scrambled eggs. I also have suspicious symptoms of Crohn's which also have been helped by staying away from the above items and certain veggies like broccoli. I won't mention here that I'm in the middle of a flare-up due to some unwise eating around the 4th of July holiday weekend. I know it's going to take at least a week before my symptoms abate once more. (Will I ever learn?)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Carb reduction has definitely helped me. But I am not sure if it is the reduction in carbs or the elimination of wheat, etc. from my diet. Some seem to be helped by carb reduction - which is basically fiber reduction. Perhaps their problem was the fiber. I have found I am fine as long as I stay away from all grains, except for rice - and a few other high fiber foods.I am still not sure if my problem was the carbs, fiber, or grains. I seem to handle starches in potatoes and carrots fine and have slowly increased the amounts I eat. I definitely stay away from wheat, beans, corn and artichokes.I have been eating low-carb since Dec 1, 1999 - and have found that the longer I remain symptom-free, the more I can "cheat" without any ill effects.I think this is definitely an area that would benefit from a medical study.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.