Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Not me...but the things I put the cocoa with do affect me.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Christiana,I can drink Cocoa powder made into a hot chocolate drink, but if I eat Chocolate with cocoa in it, it upsets my system. Probably more because it is combined with a lot of fats & other stuff.Usually cocoa powder is ok, but everyone is different. :love:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Cocoa can be a pure unsweetened powder used for cooking and baking, or it can be a sweetened drink usually made with milk.The pure unsweetened cocoa powder, which has hardly any fat, actually has a relatively high amount of fiber. Although high in fat, pure unsweetened chocolate (used for melting) is also high in fiber. Yet most candies and drinks are higher in fat, sugar or milk than in chocolate, and they have hardly any fiber.I've actually found benefit in consuming a nondairy, nonfat chocolate sorbet, which has about 4 grams of fiber (all from cocoa) per cup. I think the fiber is helpful. I notice it does darken the stool though.So it basically depends on what type of cocoa one consumes and what product it is in. Milk products, fats, and a number of other ingredients in the product may trigger IBS symptoms. You might want to experiment trying something low fat without dairy or milk (like a chocolate sorbet). I would assume people likely don't actually eat powdered unsweetened cocoa by itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.