Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if estrogen (specifically Premarin) has any effect on IBS-D? I developed IBS shortly after a complete hysterectomy about 16 years ago, and when I asked my surgeon if there could be a connection he only laughed. I always figured the surgery had something to do with it but now I wonder if maybe the Premarin could be at fault. I take a very small dose - .0625.If anyone has any knowledge as to a connection between IBS-D & Premarin I would appreciate comments. Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Misty I had my hysterectomy 15 years before I developed IBS. I was taking estrogen and quit taking it hoping it would help my D. Haven't taken estrogen for 3 years now. For me it didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
quote:I developed IBS shortly after a complete hysterectomy about 16 years ago, and when I asked my surgeon if there could be a connection he only laughed.
What did he laugh at .. the suggestion of a connection with the estrogen or the surgery?KKat

·
Registered
436 Posts
Docs often dismiss any suggestion of something that might incriminate em :)Do you really think it started after the surgery?Don't know of any connection with estrogen but I do know first hand of link with surgery.I developed severe IBS-like symptoms right after tubal ligation and it has just been confirmed that the hospital infection I got has damaged my gut nerves.This ring any bells for U?KKat

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am positive my IBS-D started several months after my surgery. You did ring lots of bells with the infection thought. My incision wouldn't heal & finally after several attempts to cauterize, etc. he referred me to a plastic surgeon to have the incision redone. I went to that guy & the first thing he did was probe around inside & found a stitch that hadn't dissolved. Within several days it was healed. I started a new job about the same time the IBS started and blamed the condition on the job rather than the surg. But, I finally had to give it up about a year ago and the IBS didn't improve. Mine is of the worst kind with the urgency that I can't control or time or anything else. I've pooped my pants so often in public, at work, etc. that it really depresses me. I was always an out-going person but this tends to make one a recluse!At this point I don't know of anything that I can do, especially if I have gut nerve damage as yourself. The gyn who performed the surg. is now retired so I don't even see him anymore. Thanks for your input. Is there any meds you can take for the nerve damage or is it something you've learned to live with as I have.Misty

·
Registered
436 Posts
quote:Thanks for your input.
Your welcome .. I hope it gives u a clue.
quote:Is there any meds you can take for the nerve damage or is it something you've learned to live with as I have.
Haven't learned to live with it .. don't see how I can .. but then again I only got the diagnosis last month and that in itself was a tremendous relief.I spose meds would depend on the particular site of 'injury' - if that's indeed what you have. The difficulty pointed out by my doc tho is that contemplating taking something for the rest of your life is daunting. So I tend to look for other ways to gain symptomatic relief while trying to get the docs to see what tests could provide clearer insight into the location of the injury.But the *main* point .. for me at least .. is that it has been confirmed that this is NOT IBS so the approach is quite different even tho symptoms are similar.HTHKKat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts