Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty sure all I had was IBS, but now that I may have a fistula I'm beginning to worry. I had a Barium enema done in May, and it came back all normal. I know that things can be missed with that test, but since every other test I've had came back normal my doctor didn't think I needed a Colonoscopy. Of course I'm going to bring all of this up to him now with this new problem.The idea that I even have Crohn's is making me physically ill. I couldn't sleep at all last night. I know a lot of people live with it and manage, but for me it sounds like a death sentance. Is that being silly? My Aunt had a fistula and also has IBS. She has had several colonoscopies and does NOT have Crohn's or IBD. But I know it's a red flag. Feeling so scared about all this!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:I know how scary it is to contemplate a serious chronic illness. My doctor has actually gone back and forth for seven years between a diagnosis of Crohn's and IBS, never quite knowing which one it is. Remember also that Crohn's has different degrees of severity, and does not always mean you will be very, very sick and get worse over time.Anyway, just because you have a fistula does not mean you have Crohn's. It is one indicator used in diagnosing Crohn's, but does not make the diagnosis in and of itself. Colonoscopy is the gold standard test, but even it will miss Crohn's located in the small intestine. That being said, even testing of the small intestine can miss Chrohn's. Just try not to worry too much about it all, which will make it worse. Take things as they come, one day at a time.Good luck. ~JR~

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Homebound,My husband, who hasn't had any IBS problems ever, had two fistulas in his twenties. He hasn't got Crohns. Fistula can occur because of ingrown hairs, people with occupations that have them sitting for a long time, like lorry-drivers (or students, which was what my husband was at the time they occurred) can be prone to fistulas. Please don't worry too much about it. If you have been examined regularly and have had colonoscopies and/or sigmoidoscopies, IBD/Crohn's would probably have been spotted.Fay :love:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I had two fistulas both within the same year and underwent surgery for both. I definitely just have IBS, not IBD (by the way there are medical markers for IBD, so doctors can test for that and rule it out). I respond to Zelnorm and I can lead a fairly normal life. The doctors cannot explain why I developed the fistulas several years ago. One of life's mysteries I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.