Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had IBS for almost 3.5 years now. Don't really have diharea much and never constipated, my ibs has always been needing to go too much in relation to stress, etc. i have been taking metamucil in combination with digestive advantage for 2.5 years now and it has worked wonders, i live a semi normal life. However, this past month my IBS seems to be getting worse, but for no apparent reason. It cant be stress, since im done with college for summer and only work an easy 20 hours per week. I eat all of the same foods ive been eating for years with no problems, and i have been avoiding bad ibs foods too. But tonite marks the 3rd time in a month that ive had horrible diarrea for no reason whatsoever. Someone please help me! Does IBS always get worse over time?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
DC2002, if your symptoms change and are not the regular symptoms or alarm you, you might wanna be checked by a doc.IBS can wax and wane and fluctuate.You might have also got a minor stomach bug perhaps or a food just didn't sit right."It cant be stress, since im done with college for summer and only work an easy 20 hours per week."That's not the kind of stress really it more stress, anxiety and emotions themselves, as well as big physical stressors.You say you think stress isn't doing you any good, but are you doing something to combat it?This is a good article on it.The Neurobiology of Stress and EmotionsBy: Emeran A. Mayer, M.D., UCLA Mind Body Collaborative Research Center, UCLA School of Medicine, California We often hear the term "stress" associated with functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/stress.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A few people might have IBS get worse but IBS does not typically get worse as time goes on. Sometimes it gets better over time. sometimes it stays the same. Some people have better times and worse times, but there is no inevitable progression to worse and worse IBS.New and alarming symptoms should be checked out by the doctor; having IBS doesn't protect you from something else going wrong.Stress can be physical as well as mental, sometimes even when life is easy mentally wise we may not be getting enough sleep or exercise, etc. Also change, even positive change like finishing a school year, or starting a new job or any change in routine can cause the body to feel stressed even if emotionally we are happy about the changes. Sometimes we just don't like change.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i wish it was as easy as that. i am almost religous about getting 8 good hours of sleep per night and i lift weights 3 days per week. also, i do other activities (basketball, baseball) maybe twice a week on top of that.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Sometimes excersise casues D, especially in IBS.You not so much talking about IBS getting worse over time, as you are talking about a flare up after a good spell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by "getting worse over time" im more or less asking if it is common for one person who has pain and urgency domininate ibs to suddenly become diahera dominant and so forth. sorry i worded that kind of poorly.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
IBS can switch back and forth from c to d or d to c.Most people's urgency issues is from D.Are you feeling any better now?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was feeling better saturday and sunday (saturday didnt eat much thats why) but monday brought on more D. my night was going alright, got home from work around 9:20p, was just chillin and at 10 on the dot i had lots of pain, followed but two normal stools and then painful D 5 minutes later. i am becoming scared now, this is the 4th time ive had D in the past month (usually once a year before that) and when i did get it before it was because i didnt realize i am lactose intolerant. but like i stated earlier i havent been eating anything out of the normal and im getting all these D attacks. HELP

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had it for 17yrs and the longest I've went without D is 2 weeks. I have D at least 4 days a week. Usually right after I eat. It doesn't matter what I eat either.So for me time hasn't made it any better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well even though I have not had to much to eat since my last sick episode, I must say I am feeling ok. I think I will make increased effort for these last few months of my summer until college starts again trying to shake off and improve my IBS to get myself back to where I was. I think a couple days of cardio would probaly help me and as long as I keep lifting too is definetely a good start. Also not being afraid to eat and do things that I like to do. Sorry this seems like a rant more than anything lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts