Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so bummed out, I am sluggish today, most days. Can't keep up with what I need to get done.Tried anti-depr. but that seems not to help. Is it the IBS?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The fatigue should be evaluated separately from the IBS to make sure it isn't somthing else.Anemia, low thyroid, and a host of non-IBS medical problems can make you really dragged out, so you do need to do the ye olde standard physical to make sure that it is "just" the IBS and not something else you need to have fixed.Being in pain/sick from anything can make you fatigued, but you shouldn't just assume it is IBS, when fatigue is a symptom of so many things.K.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm sorry you're feeling so fatigued. I know that in general I feel that way quite often. I asked my GI if it was related and he said possibly but mentioned doing some other testing. I told him that I am at my weakest and most fatigued on days when the IBS is flaring up. Most of the time it's under control but when I'm having a bad day I end up having a bad week the rest of the week from the fatigue. For instance, after a bout with it on a Friday I laid down to take a nap about 2:00 in the afternoon. I didn't wake up until 6:30 the next morning. That was recent and I haven't seen my doctor since then but it's pretty normal for me. I ache all the time and just feel "tired". I just wanted to say I'm sorry and I hope you feel better soon. Maybe a B-12 would boost you or something. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I certainly think that a big case of IBS can fatigue you, but I agree about checking out other things. If you have IBS, chances are you have a bit of a funky auto. nervous system. I've found with my funky system, I have many other problems too. Finally, after years of having a myriad of problems, I was sent to an endocrinologist (because something actually showed up in disease level). I've had 1) parathyroid disease/hypercalcemia/hypocalcemia, 2) adrenal problems (but still testing), 3) and possible borderline thyroid stuff going on. Any of those, I believe, can make one tired. They can affect, or be affected by, the nervous system - so there can be an indirect tie-in with disorders such as IBS.A good place to start with be with labwork - first a standard CBC. Also, how's your BP and pulse?

·
Registered
146 Posts
You betcha IBS makes you tired!Gut spasms, gas, abdominal pains, plus all that fun time spent either on the toilet or running to it can really wear you down.Not to mention the anxiety, embarassment and general stress of IBS.Yep, all that can make you tired, plus, some meds, like Levsin, make you drowsy, with dry eyes and mouth and swollen hands and feet.Like the other posters recommend, I 'd get the fatigue checked out to make sure it's not something else, but yes, IBS alone can take a lot out of you - figuratively and literally!!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I often get tired from spending so much time, effort, and energy on trying to expel gas and go to the bathroom. Because it takes me so long (2 hours max), I also have to wake up much earlier in the morning.Also, I don't think there is any IBS correlation, but my legs often feel like they are full of lead. I am very thin, and I do take vitmains and eat enough. However, at times, I just feel like the force of gravity is too much for my body. I often walk and move slowly. I could spend all day sitting still. In my case, I would think it is most likely my complete lack of physical activity and exercise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, over the years I have had physicals and blood work done. Nothing showed up. My blood pressure is fine and so is my pulse. I am also a small bone, thin person but I wear size 38-40 inch waist because my stomach swells a lot from the IBS. A few years ago they have added thyroid medication to the antideppressents and that did nothing. I feel like I am pulling a piano, someone sucked all the blood out of my body and tied sand bags around my limbs. I can't stand very long so I shave & brush my teeth while I take a bath. A phychiatrist told me yesterday we are running out of options, I have tried most of the medicine for depression on the market (since my regular doctors found nothing with the physicals I was diagnozed with depression) I even had 2 sleep studies done which showed came up with nothing abnormal. That is why I was thinking maybe it is the IBS. I feel like I am living a secret, my family, my employer and friends don't know how unable I feel to function. If I talk to people about it I get a lecture about discipline, procrastination and things I have heard before. I am fustrated and upset.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
i know all my strange symptoms are connected. i suspect that the same applies for most of us here.with me it is some type of immune system problem that is the driving force behind my problems -- or something is forcing my immune system to act in strange ways.the immune system when activated can induce fatigue via a number of cytokines, interleukins --- IL-1 is one such immune chemical that induces fatigue.but many things could be going on as jan has suggested. abnormal ANS, thyroid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm I get fatigue too...but I wouldn't entirely blame it on IBS...I would blame some of my tiredness from the medication I'm receiving. 2 of my medications can make me fall asleep within the time span of 5 to 30 minutes! Anyways I think you should consult your doctor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
im havin ibs-b and am also exhausted most time.i had to take a break in my education in a health job because it was too much for me. especially after eating im "to throw away" for hours as we say here. i cant imagine how to finish the school and my parents sit in my back about that. fortunately i have a parttime job, but dont earn very much so i cant think of getting a own appartment. if i dont get better i may end up as a lifetime studentjobber because i dont know how i should get through an education?i also have probs with remebering things and concentration.maybe i should see a neurologist? docs did find only ibs and some low allergies. my thyroid markers were at the high boarder, wich doesnt fit to my symptoms, but, enenthough i wonder if they could maybe be a problem. docs say no.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.