Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I have frequent bm's esspecially after eating I feel this uncomfortable feeling that everything has to come out again. I don't have diarrhia. My stool is either kind of normal looking or comes out as little soft but formed pieces or sausages. Since the frequency is giving me lot's of discomfort can Immodiom help for that too ? I always hear it's good for diarrhia but I don't have diarrhia right now.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It will slow things down no matter what the consistency and frequency is.So it may help.It may also constipated you way too much. It has no way to stop at normal. If you are constipated and you take it, you will get even more constipated. If you try it, start with a low dose and see how long it stops you up and I would wait until you have a BM before taking the next dose.Sometimes frequency is more about rectal hypersensitivity (the rectum gives the "gotta go" signal too early) and it may help a bit with that, but usually it is not the main thing used. Usually if you just have rectal hypersensitivity I'd go with an antispasmodic (which will slow things down a bit as well) or a low dose antidepressant.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kathleen-what anti-spasmodic would you recommend and at what dose. I am prescribed buscopan 3x daily. Just wondering if there was a better one. I live in the UK so maybe can't access them all.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know the UK ones that well, and sometimes one will work when others do not, but it may be none of them would work.Here is the lists I can find, http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Antispasmo....htm#related_dr Alverine citrate Dicycloverine Hyoscine butylbromide--This is the one that is Buscopan Hyoscine hydrobromide Mebeverine hydrochloride Peppermint oil Propantheline bromide

·
Registered
287 Posts
thanks, Kathleen and Diana. I'll maybe try a different one as I think rectal hypersensitivity is a problem with me. Just wondering if increasing the dose might help too. I'm lucky in that I have very little in the way of pain so haven't explored these as much as maybe I should have done.

·
Registered
312 Posts
http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=112669if you want to have normal bowl movements once per day try cutting out most of the carbohydrates in your diet and eating low fibertry a high fat, medium protein, low carb, diet 20 grams of carbohydrates per day for all foods sept cheese and count fiber in that 20 gram limit per day too that will help keep your fiber under control as wellyou can also have up to 10 grams of carbohydrates per day worth of cheese so total = 30 grams of carbs max per day, 10 worth of cheese and 20 worth of a combind other carbohydrates+fiberalso make sure you do not eat any starches at all that means no potatos or corn or carrorts or any of the starchy vegetables and no milk or whipping cream or sour cream basically no dairy and no soft cheeses like cottage or ricotta cheese or cream cheese but hard cheese can be okand absolutely no soy what so ever and no canola oil at all and no tomatos make sure you always check the ingridients of a item for these and also no meds and no vitamins either and no nuts or seeds or grainsand avoid all : White and black pepper, vinegar, capers, cinnamon, Cornstarch, Corn syrup, Nutmeg, Vanilla , Ketchup, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, relish Coffee, Distilled liquor, Black Tea, Coconut and Coconut containing productsfrom the 20 grams of total carbohydrates+fiber you eat make sure they are mostly all from low carb vegetables like broccoli and suchso in short you can eat as much butter,meat,eggs,seafood no carb foods like that you can eat as much as you want and then 20 grams of carbs+fiber from low carb vegetables and then 10 grams of carbs from cheese also you will want to avoid berries and fruit for now cause they will add up to 20 grams of carbs way to fast and you won't get enough of the nutrients in your diet that you need if you eat themthis may sound extreme but use it as a test. and once you know your stomach is doing alot better (it can take time to heal) then you can start testing other foods and testing vitamins and such so you have more optionsalso after you know this plan works here is a list of things you can try adding back into your diet to test and see if they are ok for you1. slowly doubleing your max allowed carbohydrate limmit and cheese limmit and see if your body is ok with it2. testing vitamins and seeing if your body can handle them or which brands are ok3. berries4. fruit5. grains6. nuts and seeds7. eating up to a max of 100 grams of carbohydartes a day though i wouldn't eat that manyalso there will be still some things you can most likely never eat like starchy vegetables but if you want you can even test thembut foods you can never eat again because they are health hazardous and toxic are soy and canola oil and soy lethicin is bad too

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same problem as well. It resolved itself when I started eating smaller amounts of food (4-5 lesser meals a day rather than 2-3 huge meals). I don't know if it works for anybody else. I also took antispasmodics though not specifically for this issue (rather for the bigger picture, as at the time I was feeling really bad), first Motilium (but that one made me drowsy) and then I switched with Debridat, which was the best so far for me. I don't know if you find them in the UK and I think it would be best to go see a doctor about that, self-medication is not a good idea...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.