Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking Linzess for about 6 weeks and am still wresting with it. I was prescribed 145 mg but had a rocky introduction, so my GI doctor suggested I drop to 72. But after a few weeks I decided that wasn't enough. Since i had both strengths, between samples and a prescription, I've bounced back and forth, using the lower dose if things seemed to be moving along and the higher if they weren't. A week or two ago we decided on an every other day dose of 145 mg. I sometimes skip more than one day, or take it on consecutive days, again trying to modify depending on how I feel. Oddly, I often have as much or more bowel activity when I don't take a pill, although there are days, with or without the pill, when absolutely nothing happens. If I do have multiple bowel movements on a day when I skip a dose, is this "overflow diarrhea," where I get so backed up that everything pours out, triggered by the lack of stimulus from the Linzess, or is the Linzess so strong that one pill can keep me moving for several days at a time. When I have a lot of activity several days in a row, my body really feels it, in a negative way. My abdominal area gets very tender, I physically and psychologically feel drained, and i sometimes need a pain reliever. If I could figure out how this drug works, maybe I could get into a more predictable cycle. Do I need to take it regularly for best results, for example the every other day cycle, regardless of what else is going on? Am I running into problems because I'm not sticking with a routine, either by timing or dose strength? I didn't like Linzess the first time I tried it (although I stuck it out for a year before it stopped working) and I don't like it now, but I've tried two other IBS-C drugs this year with little or no benefit, so I feel like I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello, I've taken Linzess off and on since 2016 and in my experience, why sometimes it works differently than others is that it depends on how much contents are in your colon. If my colon is full it will work well, but if I've had a full BM yesterday for example and I take Linzess today, sometimes I get no response, sometimes I get less. Sometimes it won't work a half our after eating, sometimes it'll work 4 hours after eating. So I'd say to your question about it being cumulative, no, but it will kick in as there is more with it to work on in your colon. That's what I suspect based on what I've experienced, hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I've taken Linzess off and on since 2016 and in my experience, why sometimes it works differently than others is that it depends on how much contents are in your colon. If my colon is full it will work well, but if I've had a full BM yesterday for example and I take Linzess today, sometimes I get no response, sometimes I get less. Sometimes it won't work a half our after eating, sometimes it'll work 4 hours after eating. So I'd say to your question about it being cumulative, no, but it will kick in as there is more with it to work on in your colon. That's what I suspect based on what I've experienced, hope this helps.
Your explanation makes sense. If I've had a lot of activity one day, maybe there's just not much left to expel, especially if your system tends to be slow, which mine is. Today was the second day in a row with nothing, the first day no pill, but I took one this morning. It'll probably catch up with me tomorrow. Still doesn't help much with trying to figure out if I need to adjust my schedule to stay close to home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts