Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started reading this forum about a month ago. I am very happy to have found a place where people can finally relate to me. But, I also sometimes get very paranoid when I read other peoples' posts. Many of the posters seem to suffer much more awful symptons then I do and have not found relief. Sometimes it makes me want to give up! BUT, then there are the posts from people who are in remission!And the posts that scare me the most are the ones about people who have had accidents in public. That is my biggest fear in life at the moment! I am a VERY private person and IBS has been really tough for me to deal with because of that. I don't like to talk about it with people who haven't had GI issues or some other illness because I feel like they can't relate.I don't mean to be depressing or anything I'm just upset over the whole ordeal and don't know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,I am in the same position as you in that my symptoms are not as bad as others appear to be.It doesn't make me aranoid though- it puts my problems into perspective.With regards to having an accident in public. When people say this has happened to them and yet they are still getting on with their lives this makes me realise that if it did happen to me then it wouldn't be the end of the World.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi! I used to be on another board and it was all about what you can/can't eat and that made me paranoid. I gave myself an eating disorder over it for fear of putting anything into my mouth at all!This one however has been wonderful for me. We talk about all sorts of stuff. Having an accident in public is my worst nightmare come true too (actually having one at home comes pretty close) but I've so far been gratefully lucky enough not to have that happen. It does make me a little paranoid that it might come to that in the future but as Joanne said it's good to think that if the worst does happen that it's not the end of the world. Just hope that we are with understanding people if it does. Life goes on. Try not to let it get you down or if it worries you too much just avoid those posts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wouldn't say paranoid. It's like many other boards...when things are going okay you don't hear those stories. When people post they are having a rotten day, they'll post. Everyone has suggestions and opinions but they're just that. Try some things one at a time and see if it helps. Everyone reacts differently to "solutions" so see what helps.If I followed every suggestion then I'd be off solid foods and only drinking water...and I'm not 100% sure which water I should be drinking.

G

·
Sillytummy - your post rang a real bell with me. I posted summat about my uterus a few days' back - wish I hadn't but thats my problem. Many people were incredibly supportive = in fact everyone but some people were abit "god you must be so worried" (and I'm stressing my reaction to this is MY PROBLEM) so I know what you mean.Having said that, please don't be depressed = I think what most of us get from this board (or most of it) is that you ain't alone - if you have what seems the most bizarre symptom - chances are somebody else here will at least know what you are on about and I think, for me anyway, that is a hell of a help and comfort.A warm welcome from soggy Manchester anyway.Sue (aged 43, mother of 3 divine (ha ha) children and large wooley womble dog)

·
Banned
415 Posts
This forum has given me nothing but courage. I used to be very shy about what was happening to me. I've been a member since august and now that i know there are people out there going through similar things i actually feel better about it. Weird but fine by me. I now find that i can openly tell people why i can't go out or why i'm late. Maybe it's my IBS sence of humour, but sometimes it's funny to go into detail just to see the "I so don't need to know this much" look on their faces!!
Is it just me or have others found that when they get that freind or family member that says "oh, i have IBS also" (as in a curry will send them to the loo!!!) or just doesn't believe you, by the time you've had a good long bonding chat with them about the colour of your stools (
), all of a sudden they are happy to agree with whatever you say and admit that there is something going on with you? Maybe i'm just wicked!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sillytummy, I feel EXACTLY the same way as you. This board is so helpful to me, because I love knowing that I'm not alone. But it also scares the bejeepers out of me. My anxiety got so much worse after I became a regular here. (I lurk more than I post, but I'm here a lot). To be honest, I'm not convinced that I have IBS. I think all of my problems are due to anxiety. The only time I get D is if I'm really nervous about something, and the only time I ever get C is if I take too much immodium and pepto during a freak out. I'm constantly afraid of having an accident, and I've never even been close! I only even get diarrhea like, maybe a couple of times a month. But, I get so worked up over leaving the house, and thinking of all the other people who have had accidents, that I make myself have to go. Not D, but I still get my bowels moving.The posts that really get me are the ones where people say they had no warning. It just came out and they didn't even have time to try to hold it in. I'm 20 years old, and the thought of that is not terrifying because of embarrassment, but I can't stand the thought of losing control at such a young age. It scares the #### out of me, literally!Sorry for my rant, but long story short, I wonder if I'm doing more harm than good being here. Everybody here is so wonderful, but it's not good for my anxiety.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No, reading this forum does not make me more paranoid. Less if anything. Of course, I never thought so many people had this problem (20%). My condition won't change any simply by reading these posts. If anything, I will get better by learning what can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.