Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a 26 y/o male generally healthy male. Since July 2021, I have been experiencing underlying stomach issues that come and go. They've steadily become worse and less manageable since then. I have dealt with GERD for as long as I can remember but has been very manageable for the last 15 years. But now, I have (seemingly) unprovoked bouts of nausea, decreased appetite, fullness after a small amount of food, epigastric pressure, and lower abdominal cramping followed by diarrhea. I haven't been able to manage it very well so far and I feel like this is controlling my daily life. I've received over 10 tests (i.e., EGD, colonoscopy, manometry/impedance, stool study, various scans, etc.) and nothing cut and dry has been found. I'm miserable, but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences in trying to pin down what is causing these issues, or if any of you have similar symptoms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I'm a 26 y/o male generally healthy male. Since July 2021, I have been experiencing underlying stomach issues that come and go. They've steadily become worse and less manageable since then. I have dealt with GERD for as long as I can remember but has been very manageable for the last 15 years. But now, I have (seemingly) unprovoked bouts of nausea, decreased appetite, fullness after a small amount of food, epigastric pressure, and lower abdominal cramping followed by diarrhea. I haven't been able to manage it very well so far and I feel like this is controlling my daily life. I've received over 10 tests (i.e., EGD, colonoscopy, manometry/impedance, stool study, various scans, etc.) and nothing cut and dry has been found. I'm miserable, but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences in trying to pin down what is causing these issues, or if any of you have similar symptoms.
First, I am very sorry and sad to hear about your symptoms and how you feel.
My sister, suffers horribly from her IBS, also.
Her symptoms include severe abdominal distension, pain, cramping, feeling like she can not swallow anything, even water.
Everything feels like it gets stuck in her throat/chest.
Doctors have said she is an air swallower, and should not drink from a straw or bottle ie water bottles. Some have suggested anti seizure meds, which she has declined.
It is hard for her to go out to eat, or just eat at home.
So, please do not feel alone, in this DAILY struggle/battle.
As of now, she TAKES bentyl 20 mgs, 3xs daily and Nexium 40mgs, prescription, daily along with a otc probiotic align. (NOT HELPING)
So she, too, is looking for answers
Help and support. To at least find someone who has similar symptoms, as not to feel alone.

So, if you have not tried, a probiotic, ask your doctor which one may help you. My sister, must eat a bland diet, but does not like to eat at all, except crackers and sometimes, cereal at times small amount of pasta.
I hope in some way this response is helpful to you, and I hope you will reach back out if you need to vent or need support.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That does sound like IBS.

Your history sounds a little like mine. I had upper GI issues, including recurring duodenal ulcers for years. Some problems will GERD, but ulcers were the main issue.

For some reason, my upper GI issues got better about the same time I started having major issues with IBS.

I didn't know it at the time, but in childhood I had IBS [though not nearly as bad as I do now]. During my teenage years, the problems eased, but for some reason it returned years later (in my later 30s). The symptoms are a little different now, but it's definitely the same issue from childhood.

I don't know whether or not there is any connection between upper GI issues and IBS in my case [or yours]. The only concrete connection I can make is that when my IBS flares up, I will often get some acid reflux [which I don't otherwise get these days].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts