Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pain starts just under my left ribcage. I want to massage it to make it better. Then my tummy gets bloated and tight and I just really want my digestion to get it moving. Sometimes I can feel little burbles in my digestive system.A couple months ago, I went to a GI doc because I'd been having nothing but diarrhea for a month. It coincided with me having started on Paxil. So I went off the Paxil (slowly, like you're supposed to). And the diarrhea went away. Though sometimes it comes back at the wrong moments (like immediately after having Mexican food, in a bathroom with no TP!! Ack!) But I still have these attacks at times. Usually when I eat too much too fast, or sometimes caused by alcohol. They coincide with panic attacks as well. But then I don't know if the panic attacks cause the GI distress, or if the GI distress causes the panic attacks. BMs are usually fine, though they don't follow the schedule I'd like. I'm very gassy but always just thought that was because I eat a lot of vegetables and whole grains and beans. So mostly it's this terrible bloated feeling and tightness, just under the left ribcage, but then spreading to the entire middle section of my stomach under my solar plexus. I massage my tummy, and it sometimes seems to help. And I can actually feel the burbles moving along, but too slowly. Sometimes it's in my lower left back, like there's an air bubble or obstruction that won't move.The GI doc gave me a flexible sigmoidoscopy, but I knew it wasn't that. I will go back in, but then I suspect I'll have to go through other nasty things. When it sounds to me like I have IBS. What do you all think? It's not horrible, but these bloaty attacks combined with the panic attacks (about 6 last time--exhausting) isn't fun at all!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I totally get you about the panic attacks! I'm having anxiety attacks--not full-blown panic [I had just *one* of those due to a vitamin B overdose, so I *really* know the difference! :)]--and it's miserable! My main symptom for a long time was bloating [well, really, outright *distention.*]. It took a while for the anxiety to show up...I also tend to multiple stools, not C. And they are usually formed--jsut a lot of them! [though the Align probiotic seems to have normalized that a bit]Beyond the commonality of experience, though, you should really be diagnosed by a doc. [But there is a whole forum on pain/bloating/gas]I'm sure a lot of other folks will have thigns to say! Good luck to you finding what you need.

·
Registered
557 Posts
yeah i think you are right, most of the time i think people understand their own body better than any GP could so usually are right when they self diagnose stuff like this, it does sound like IBS to me too but you know, just go with what the GP wants to do just to be positive, atleast then you cant worry its something else and you can get on with trying to make life a bit easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! I know I need to get this confirmed by a GI doc, but I really don't want to go through all the tests to get it confirmed. Don't want to drink barium, and there's no way I'm having a tube stuck down my throat. And all just to find I have IBS. But I guess I'll do it anyway. Thanks for the posts though!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Bloaty, I found the endoscopy [tube down the throat] totally innocuous. I was 'out,' completely, the 2nd time--in fact when they woke me I thought they were about to *start* the test! :) The first time I did wake a bit in it but only thought, 'Huh, there's a tube down my throat but it isn't uncomfortable...oh, look, kewl pictures.' :)The barium really no problem either. Just stay near a restroom after. :) Well, with me at least. ;-) [IBS-D and the mildest laxative is like a cannon... :-0 ;-)]The colonoscopy prep is no fun, but the thing itself also did me personally no harm, was not uncomfortable. I was also fine to eat after both of them, before the recommended time. Totally out for that one, too. They sound bad, but I have no memory of them, pretty much. :) Except the barium, that I was conscious for. Holding my arms above my head for some of the stuff--CTs--has been a whole lot more uncomfortable! Just my experience, ymmv.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.