Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the doc. He gave me Donnatal? I have never had that before. Put me on prednisone instead of the Entocort I was on. Then, boost my dose of Ascol. He suggested surgery. Any thoughts from anyone? I am 34, have four kids, and a not so understanding husband. Let me know if anyone has been on Donnatal or had the surgery.thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You may want to post this over on the Inflamatory Bowel part of the board.Donnatal is an antispasmodic and may help with the pain you are having.The drugs you are on and the potential for surgery make me pretty sure you have Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis rather than IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).The first two are inflamatory diseases (that you would take prednisone, Ascol, etc for) and IBS is a functional disease that has no overt inflamatory process and so these drugs are not used for that. Donnatal is, because IBSers get spasms and it should relieve spasms. IBDers (Crohn's colitis) also can get spasms, but they have a lot of other things going on as well.K.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd been on Donnatal for 8 months until my IBS-C started getting worse. Apparently the Donnatal wasn't working anymore. I went to the dr again this week and he started me on a brand new drug, Zelnorm, which is made specifically for women with IBS-C. I was diagnosed with IBS based on my symptoms only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts