Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, I have ibs-d, usually go between 5 and ten times a day, but occasionally more like 15. Yesterday it just would not stop. I went over 20 times, and even clear liquid supplements made me go more. It got to the point where it was mostly mucus, but as soon as I even had more liquids it got to real d again. Today I'm still going, and all I've had is gatorade!!! Even on my bad days, if I only drink liquids it's always stopped eventually. I don't think I had anything or amount unusual to eat the day before. I've been feeling kind of faint since that morning, so I don't think anything's getting into me, and not eating anything real can't have helped, but everyting is making me poop! At one point I think I may have also had a fever. Please help!Oh, and I've also taken the over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medicine, didn't do much...

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well I would try some more antidiarreal meds like imodium. Sometimes I find that Gatorade has too much sugar in it for me and can make the D worse... so I use 1/2 Gatorade and 1/2 water. Get some more meds into you as well as fluids though and see what the day brings.Also Lightning... try some broth or some light & non dairy form of protein. Should make ya feel stronger a bit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have said what to do, many times here on this site...........read those, look me up, click on my name & check posts.........it's all about muscle integrity........the intestines r nothing but muscle...........potassium may help.......read my other posts.........

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like a GI bug of some kind. Keep taking th imodiim if you need to and get as much fluid even water and a nice broth can help. If you start getting weak or dehydrated or even worry if you are go to a walk in clinic or urgent care type place that can check and get some IV fluids. Hope you feel better soonusually the best bet is to stay on a liquid diet until the worst of the watery diarrhea is past. Then the brat diet bananas rice applesauce and toast until things really seem to be settling down.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do you think it might be food poisoning? In those cases, it's typically recommended to avoid imodium because it can interfere with your body's ability to fight the infection. I recommend calling your doctor before you take any, unless you're fairly certain that it is an IBS flare. Like Kathleen said, be careful and if you start feeling dehydrated, weak and dizzy, please go to the doctor or an urgent care. Pedialyte might be helpful if gatorade isn't doing much for you. And I'd avoid taking anything like potassium supplements, etc, in the time being. Let us know how you're feeling - I hope it's better!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There is always a balance point with GI infections/food poisoning.If the diarrhea is fairly mild I think riding it out medication free is the best bet. When you start getting to the I'm going to get dehydrated if it doesn't stop I think sometimes slowing it down for a bit can be necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i agree.. stay away from heavy sugar drinks and heavy white grained products (crackers) that are easily turned to sugar. I usually stick with a unsweet tea just to help hydrate if tired of drinking only water...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi,If it is a flu, infection, or something you ate immodiums are not likely to help that much. Plus, if you have one of the conditons I listed it is best to just let the d run its course. It sounds like your having it really bad tho, so Im not sure what would work to stop the d.If you get dehydrated you can try drinking smart water; it has electrolytes in it and is distilled water. Also, a good protein to try is brown rice protein. I usually take one tbs of it, and put it into decaf green tea. That way your getting in protein and antioxidants. For me, the protein usually stops me up really well without making me constipated; so, that is an advantage Imodiums usually don't have.Gatorade has I high fructose corn syrup in which no matter what is very bad for people with ibs. So it would probably be best to stay away from Gatorade. Gatorade is usually recommended for jocks because they exercise so much.For snacks you could try organic toaster pastries they fill me up pretty well without the d so you could try it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.