Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy oh boy did I have a bad day on Tuesday! double trouble in fact.One mile after leaving home while the plumber had begun his day replacing bad pipes to good copper, with the water off, I got hit so hard and so violently by a diarrhea episode that I couldn't even pull over in a parking lot to make it back in time to my portable toilet in the back of my minivan. I was so sick for I don't know how long before I could get off it and struggle to get my completely soiled pants back up, put blankets on my seat and go to my sister's. It took me over an hour to get me cleaned up, the bathroom scrubbed, and my clothes rinsed then into the washer. Exhausted, I slept 3 hours. I was so glad only her dog was there. When the plumber called to say he was done for that day, I was ok to drive home. The water was still off but he had left the outside faucet turned on. Then my "cholera" hit again. So for hours, despite feeling weak and sick, I had to keep going outside, up and down the 4 steps, for water with my bucket. With all my RA joint difficulties, I could only carry enough for 1/2 a flush so you can imagine how many trips were needed. I sure wish my hubby had been home. What were the odds of the day the plumber was scheduled and already started, that this would happen? The next day I felt fine, but of course I was still loaded with meds and continuing imodium. I'm so paranoid now, I've gotten some adult diaper-pants for times of being out in public or visiting people and I have an emergency change of clothes in a backpack in my car. What a life... Anyway, I just wanted to whine a little...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Aaah poor Cathy, (hugs), what a terrible day you had! I'm wondering if the very fact that the plumber was there changing the pipes was primarily the cause of your flare up - it's the kind of thing that would set me off, I know that.Don't worry about the adult diapers, no-one will ever know except you, and it will give you at least some feeling of being in charge.Do hope you are feeling better today, love.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Peaches, No, oddly, stresses like a plumber don't cause troubles with my IBS. Years ago with my Ulcerative Colitis, even happy stress like a prom or party did. After 20+yrs, that went into remission and this IBS, functional problem, began. It's a mystery what causes my bad diarrhea episodes. For example, today after only a simple spagetti dinner last night then an oatmeal breakfast, another bad bout hit me around 9am. It was just as bad as Tuesday, but with not suffering extra pain from trying to hold it in until I could pull over the car, being in my comfortable home with nobody around to inconvenience and no commitments to cancel, I was able to get through it much easier. Of course, it always exhausts me so I ended up sleeping for hours. Now I'm fine and grateful for for that. I even felt like reorganizing my closet for summer before settling down for my relaxing evening! I hope you are feeling well at this time too.Cathy

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Cathy - glad you are feeling better now, although that was a bad day again on Tuesday. I am doing ok just at the moment, no stresses or pressures, being retired, helps of course! Even so, I have to make an appointment tomorrow with my doctor for X-ray results, so you can bet on it my stomach will play up.All the best x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts