Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark Pimentel, MD, FRCPCDirector, GI Motility Program; Director, GI Motility Laboratory Mark Pimentel, MD, FRCPC is Director of the Gastrointestinal Motility Program and Laboratory at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Dr. Pimentel also serves as Assistant Professor in Residence for the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UP!←

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Very interesting, but a bit too far away for me and probably for you too, spasman. I passed the message on to someone I correspond with who lives a lot closer and who might like to participate. I wonder if they could do it at a distance, working through a local doctor. Thankyou for drawing it to our attention.I'm going to try and get a SIBO test done next week.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you can see,Pimentel ALSO NEED NORMAL SUBJECT.And YES,it possible to get breath tested with a home kit available at the Iowa University.
(300$,price from the last year)http://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/Symptoms.htmand for sure at the Pimentel office maybe for free.Thanks Arnie,i will look at it for the home kit and even for my family members("normal subject").

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt that you will talk to him.Oh well,who knows?Ask them what is the price for the home kit.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I informed an email buddy from Washington about the survey. She rang them and was told that it was being done in LA, and that you had to visit 6 times. She is going to try to find out if she can participate locally, that is, from a distance.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/studies/stu59678.htmlTrial InformationSummary: Do you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?We are seeking men and women with IBS to participate in a research study focusing on potential treatment for this difficult condition. Your participation will be medically supervised. You will receive free non-invasive tests to assess bacteria levels in the gut. If you or a friend are interested in participating or would like more information,Contact:Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterGI Motility Research Office8635 W. Third St., #770WLos Angeles, CA 90048Telephone: 310-423-0880 or 310-423-3792 Provided by Center watch

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trial InformationSummary: Phase 2a, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Assess the Safety,Tolerability and Effect of Mitemcinal Fumarate in the Treatment of Constipation-Predominant Irritable Bowel SyndromeThis study is intended to evaluate the potential to relieve the symptoms associated with constipation-predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome during 12 Weeks of treatment with oral tablets given twice a day of mitemcinal 5mg and placebo (an inactive substance). Additionally, the study will evaluate the safety and tolerability of mitemcinal compared to placebo in patients with constipation-predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Inclusion Criteria Must be 18 years of age or older. Must have at least a 3-month history of constipation-predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome as diagnosed by Rome II Criteria. See Appendix III. If you are 50 years of age or older, normal colonic anatomy as documented by colonoscopy, double-contrast barium enema, or flexible sigmoidoscopy performed within the previous 5 years. You must provide complete responses to > 75% of weekly assessments (i.e., 3 of 4) during the 4-week baseline screening period. You must have at least mild abdominal pain/discomfort as determined by a baseline mean score of > 25 mm on the 100 mm VAS during the screening period. You must complete the screening LBT with an abnormal finding. If female, you must be surgically sterile post-menopausal (no menses > 12 months), or using an effective method of contraception. You must be able and willing to provide informed consent.Exclusion Criteria Laxatives during the 2 weeks immediately prior to randomization (except “fiber” or “bulking” agents taken on a stable regimen for at least 3 months prior to screening and the same regimen is intended to be maintained stable for the duration of the study). Use of laxatives within 2 weeks prior to screening and during the first two weeks during screening should be avoided if possible. Use any of the following drugs within 2 weeks prior to or during screening:prokinetic agents (e.g., tegaserod, metoclopramide, erythromycin, domperidone, cisapride). Antifungal agents (e.g., fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole). Antiarrhythmic agents known to be associated with QT prolongation (e.g., quinidine, procainamide, disopyramide, dofetilide, ibutilide, sotalol). Medication containing an opiate. Macrolide antibiotics (e.g., erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin). Anti-spasmodics (e.g., glycopyrrolate, atropine, hyoscyamine, scopolamine).History of any of the following gastrointestinal conditions:Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). Bowel surgery (except appendectomy or gall bladder removal > 3 months prior to screening). Known bowel obstruction or adhesions.QTc Prolongation. Diabetes mellitus Type 1 or 2. Parkinson’s disease. Thyroid disease not stable. Kidney failure defined as creatinine 3.0 mg/dl. History of cirrhosis. Acute or chronic liver disease/infection. Active gallstone disease. Current abuse of drug or alcohol, as determined by the Investigator. Major psychiatric illness not currently under stable medical control. You have taken antibiotics within 2 months prior to screening. Participated in a clinical drug study within 30 days prior to screening. Pregnant (positive urine or serum test) or breast-feeding. Laboratory abnormality or unstable medical or surgical condition that is deemed clinically significant in the opinion of the Investigator. Allergy or significant intolerance to erythromycin, clarithromycin or azithromycin Unable or unwilling to abide by the protocol.Contact:Yuthana Kong, Study CoordinatorCedars-Sinai Medical Center8635 W. 3rd Street, Suite 770WLos Angeles, CA 90048Telephone: 310-423-3792Fax: 310-423-2404Email: kongy###cshs.org Provided byMapQuest

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Up fellows

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to get some feedback from IBSers in this trial.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Spasman,I recently moved to California so I called Dr. Pimientel's office to ask about the study. Well, they acceoted me and I go Friday for the breath test!!!I am not sure what happens then and what it is they are testing over the long hall(i.e. drug treatment etc.), or if I am a control to test confirmed IBS'ers for SIBO.I will keep you all informed.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.