Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since 1993 started with IBS with start of menopause symptomes- thought was another bout of giardia- had in 83 and 90- very bad- from daycare child- in 95 had colonoscopy- found few benign polyps- said IBS- since then noticed a "cyclical" water D attack around 28th of the month or the 4-5th- EVERY MONTH- comes out of nowhere- incontinent- explosive- same look, no pain, no control- every 15 mins for about 6 hours- Used to be finished then, but now this pattern is lasting 2-3 days - rest of the month have urgency in AM but I go once and not again till the next am- have had colonisopy this June, breath test and small bowel xrays- all normal- except motility time is very fast-had test and was in the car in 40 mins- said I might be 3-4 hrs.- Had to wait till today for follow up visit- dr. said"She has never seen this and cannot explain this samee time of month occurence"- I am 54, no period in several yrs,but used to get the P at these same times of the month- I asked her if it could be hormone related, was there any hormone that could make this happen if had too much or imbalance, she said no- I am on natural HRT since Dec and had been on syn since 96- she ordered flagyl and lomotil and wants me to keep[ a food diary for 3 days prior to each attack- I don't understand this request- I am not eating the same thing every month at this particular time- I know she thinks I am neurotic as hell, which could be true, but this is really happening and I don't even realize what the date is half the time, and then I do and it is ALWAYS around the same time EXACTLY- anybody ever had this or can shed some light onit- is driving me nuts- I cannot go anywhere on these days and have no warning except a "gurgling, hollow sensation in my upper stomach, then the water D- never have it without the "upper gurgling stuff" first- then in a short time the D will start- nothing stops it- lomotil, immodium,imipramine, questran , Lotronex, xanax, pepto or the calcium regimine- thanks for your help- donnamaria

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately, all I can give you is my support. However, I will say that my IBS has been getting worse with age and new symptoms have cropped up recently. My doctor investigates these symptoms to make sure they are not related to something else--so far he has found nothing, so we both attribute it to IBS.There was another thread here about IBS and women's periods. I mentioned in that thread that 50% of women say their IBS attacks worsen during their period. I don't know of any research on post-menopausal women though, sorry.Good luck to you. Have you been tested for giarda(sp?) or other intestinal infections?-- Jared

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately, all I can give you is my support. However, I will say that my IBS has been getting worse with age and new symptoms have cropped up recently. My doctor investigates these symptoms to make sure they are not related to something else--so far he has found nothing, so we both attribute it to IBS.There was another thread here about IBS and women's periods. I mentioned in that thread that 50% of women say their IBS attacks worsen during their period. I don't know of any research on post-menopausal women though, sorry.Good luck to you. Have you been tested for giarda(sp?) or other intestinal infections?-- Jared

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:ince then noticed a "cyclical" water D attack around 28th of the month or the 4-5th- EVERY MONTH- comes out of nowhere- incontinent- explosive- same look, no pain, no control- every 15 mins for about 6 hours
I can't think of anything obvious, but since you know when it occurs, you can try to figure it out. You need to fast (complete food and water) starting probably a day before you expect it and then collect the stool and have immediately tested for sodium and osmotic gap. That can give your doctor clues as to the cause. Just knowing whether fasting affects the diarrhea could be an important clue.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:ince then noticed a "cyclical" water D attack around 28th of the month or the 4-5th- EVERY MONTH- comes out of nowhere- incontinent- explosive- same look, no pain, no control- every 15 mins for about 6 hours
I can't think of anything obvious, but since you know when it occurs, you can try to figure it out. You need to fast (complete food and water) starting probably a day before you expect it and then collect the stool and have immediately tested for sodium and osmotic gap. That can give your doctor clues as to the cause. Just knowing whether fasting affects the diarrhea could be an important clue.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 09-07-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.