Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i recently starting taking Dr. Schultz' Formula #1 (about a week ago). I take it at night after dinner. The next day between mid morning and afternoon i start getting really bad cramps that can last a few hours until i "go". Once i go the pain is gone. Does anyone know of any tricks of the trade so to speak to alleviate this cramping/pain? I'm only taking 1 capsule at night which seems to work.

Thank you in advance.

PS I had been taking Linzess for several months but it stopped working for me. It also caused that same cramping/pain until i was able to "go" to the bathroom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all, i recently starting taking Dr. Schultz' Formula #1 (about a week ago). I take it at night after dinner. The next day between mid morning and afternoon i start getting really bad cramps that can last a few hours until i "go". Once i go the pain is gone. Does anyone know of any tricks of the trade so to speak to alleviate this cramping/pain? I'm only taking 1 capsule at night which seems to work.

Thank you in advance.

PS I had been taking Linzess for several months but it stopped working for me. It also caused that same cramping/pain until i was able to "go" to the bathroom.
This product contains a couple of stimulating laxatives (e.g. Aloe vera and Senna) that can produce dependency. And as well it has some high FODMAP ingredients like garlic that can worsen symptoms. Perhaps look for a less complicated product and maybe one that only contains a osmotic laxative like Miralax

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've been taking I.F. # 1 daily for over 5 or 6 years now. Most people don't have any problems with it but a few are sensitive to the senna that is in it.... But you said you had cramping with Linzess also, so it might not be the senna in the I.F. # 1... Maybe it's just the constipation that is doing that? I don't know.

Have you tried anything that doesn't give you cramping?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thank you in advance.

IBS C is often caused by fructan intolerance. Going fructan/glutein free can help you with C.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Thank you in advance.

Cramping or gripping are well know effects of laxatives with Anthraquinone Glycosides. Since one capsule works so well at the present time consider cutting the dose in half to see if that works. Note that there is some evidence that hot pepper can increase the risk of stomach cancer. Aloe and senna are two of the strongest anthraquinone glycoside laxatives. In my experience and the consideration of others Chinese rhubarb is milder and still effective at least for awhile. The best and most tolerable laxative of this nature are the agiolax laxative granules in my experience. Much less gripping than Schultz. In my opinion one should do everything they can to get the bowel working without the use of these types of laxatives over the long run. Consider reading my posts under The Great List of Remedies. Magnesium at night is used to great effect by many for constipation , has many potential positive implications for health and is very safe as long as there is no counter indication like kidney disease. I have started taking 3 tablespoons of whole black chia seed, grinding them to a fine powder , dumping them into a moving blender with about 3/4 cups water and very quickly gulping them down before they get to thick. I then repeat it for a total of 6 tablespoons of whole black chia and then ground. Short grain brown rice, pinto beans, raspberry, pineapples and oranges are staples in my anti-constipation diet with resultant vast improvement in frequency and form, diameter and length of the stool along with magnesium at night most of the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone- I have had IBS+C for a little over a year. I basically feel tight bloated every single day. What is strange about mine is most days I have 1 good stool but still feel extremely bloated after. My doctor wants me to start taking Miralax daily and then increase it to 2x a day if it doesnt work. Then he said try linzess if that doesnt work.

Does anyone have any other medications that have worked?

I also went the natural route with a nutritionist for a few weeks but it didnt solve the issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Thank you in advance.

I used to take Shultz formula #1 nightly for years. The senna is what gives you the cramps. Try Colon Max for an alternative herbal solution. It has no senna, but a good formulation of other things that help without cramps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts