Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a new IBS Dr today. He was great. I'm fortunate to live within 30 miles of NYC, so I have access to some great facilities. He is doing the following tests: Gastrin,serum, AFP/tumor marker, HCV,RNA by Qn Rfx Geno (no clue what that is), Hep B Core, AB, Tot, C difficile, Cytotoxin B, Actin (smooth muscle) Antibody, HCV,RNA, PCR, Qualitative, HBsAg screen, Hep B Surface Ab, Giardia, EIa; Ova/Parasites, transglutaminase antibody, sed rate, Westergren, CBC w diff w plt, C diff A+B, Cryptosporidium, Giardia Antigen, 4 different stool tests (those should be fun) and a fecal blood test, even though I've never seen blood. Doesn't see a reason to repeat the CAT Scan or colonoscopy I had in late 2003/2004. No repeat of the lactose test. I was borderline and I eat cereal/ice-cream will no ill affects. We talked about the meds I currently use and what to try out after all these tests. I asked why is it that I rarely have pain. I want to know where my system doesn't work. Where is this liquid coming from? If I just all the sudden get D without cramps..what the hell? Where is that coming from? Said no clear way to tell for sure...ie..could be rapid transit,bile issues, or just the nature of my IBS. He has a lot of patients who do not have pain, some with a little, some with moderate and a lot with severe pain. It's different for everyone. The lack of pain really doesn't mean anything....it's all the same in the end-diarrhea and quality of life issues. He did mention that IBS people tend to have higher tolerances for pain. (Maybe this is why I was up and showering the day after my c-section without pain meds!) I asked what the chronic inflammation in the biop report meant. Nothing much really. How do they knew it's chronic? B/c of the cell shape or some such thing. He assured me Immodium doesn't build tolerances but some people need 1/2 pill and others need 6 or 8. Again, IBS is so individual. We have to figure out what will work for me and it may take some time. (Yeah- like I haven't been trying to figure that out for the last 11 yrs. I haven't been able to figure out any real triggers. I think Chilean wine is one.) I asked if intestines spasm b/c I can feel something like a purring, shaking, vibration..whatever the hell it is. He said yes, it is a smooth muscle and they see it with IBS. Not everyone has that symptom. Some people may have it and not feel it. It's not one of the top complaint's from people. It's a contraction of the gut...a really fast contraction. Everyone has gut contractions, it's how stool is moved. For the most part, contractions are painless/not noticeable with non IBS'ers. With IBS the gut/feeling is more sensitive and we notice/feel it. For me, when I eat, I feel the churning start. Sometimes, it doesn't start until a little after a meal. It can happen with snacks too, not just a main meal. However, I can totally remember NOT feeling anything when I ate when I was normal. Back on the pain thing, I said, "Is it kinda like when you hear women say they were in labor and didn't know and everyone looks at them like they're nuts?" He kinda shook his head shoulder to shoulder and said he never thought of it that way, but its a good example of not feeling pretty strong contractions and gut ones are certainly tamer than labor ones! Lol. When the spasm happens, that's my Levsin que. (I've been taking it all this week b/c I'm in a flare and trying to dry myself out anyway.) When I do feel it..and it's not everyday...it doesn't necessarily do anything to me. It's not a big red flag that something is gonna happen right now. When I'm in a flare, like now..it does happen quite a bit. I want to know how come when I wake up at, say 3AM, and don't fall right back to sleep, my guts start right in. Not that I have to get up and run to the bathroom in the middle of the night.But, it's just really hard to get back to sleep with the churning/noise and the worrying starting. Is this nothing or a bad day is ahead? I can't really tell. Again, the nature of the beast. Great. The mucus. I can't remember what he said. The cort supp's I use are the best thing if I can't tolerate it.So, that's where I am. I'll be surprised if anything comes up. I think it's just plain ole' IBS, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to check everything even if some are repeated tests.It's gonna take a couple of weeks to get this whole testing thing done. I'm not doing the stool tests until at least the end of next week.I'll let ya know!Oh- he said they are seeing C diff in people who are not on antibodics. Not sure what that meant, I've yet to look it up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Holy ####, did you write all those tests down or have a photographic memory?Your bowel becomes active when you wake up, that's why you are having a prob. falling back asleep. It's not really a red flag unless you wake up from pain or wake up and fire some really watery d right after you wake.Non specific inflammation is pretty common and they probably did biopsies of it when you had the colonoscopy. If you don't have red flags there's not much of a reason to put you through the whole ordeal again as the chance of finding something different are very minimal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! No, I just copied them off the test report. It's all typed or hand written on there.My colonoscopy specifically says no colitis or Chrons is present. The place where my system is producing the mucus is in the sigmoid colon. He and my other Dr can see it with the flex. I asked if he can resection that part out. He said the possible benefits aren't worth the risk of a major surgery for something like mucus production! I knew that, just thought I'd ask since I'm totally willing to have any part of my system causing a problem cut the heck right out.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Mucus production is a normal function, everyones always produces some to lubricate and protect the lining of the colon as the stool moves along.When the colon is "irritated or irritable" it may produce more. It is a non-specific response.There can be a lot of side effects anytime you go removing parts of the colon so I agree it isn't much of an option.If you get the IBS (or others) under better control that should reduce the mucus production.IBS does tend to be worse at the times of the day when anyone's colon is more active. Mornings around wake up time (and if you can't get back to sleep that may trigger the time to get up series of physical responses) and after you eat. The stomach tells everything downstream that you ate so it can move things along. A fair number of people prescribe things like Levsin 20-30 minutes before a meal so you cut the reaction off at the pass rather than try to get it under control after the pain starts. K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.