Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone told me that if u make a soup out of plain white rice and water...and then drink the broth from the rice that it will cure diarhhea. ? I never tried it. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it?
Would be a pretty neat little cure if it did work!( me having ... ibs -b and all.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cadence,Never heard of this, but white rice is one of the things I can always eat even when my IBS is really bad. My grandmother says that after you wash the rice (Japanese rice has to be washed before cooking) the milky water that's left is good for houseplants. She also says that pickled plums ("umeboshi" in Japanese, very salty and sour - and YUMMY) and ginger are good for the stomach. Her mother had IBS (we think) so she would know! Lots of Japanese people pour green tea over white rice, and I know that's supposed to be good for you.Bon appetit!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have tried drinking the rice water and found it didn't do anything for me(i'm IBS-d too and didn't relaly notice a change). I took the rice and boiled it in lots of water for about 40-50mins(time and amounts dont' really matter jsut make asmuch as you want and cook it untill the rice is totally mushy and the water looks milky). Then strain out the rice and refridgerate. The juice sort of separates after a while so you need to mix it up well before drinking it. I also found that if it is cold its easier to drink. I hope it works for you. My docs said taht even if it doesn't work to stop the D it is still a good drink to have if you can't eat anyhting during an attack. Gives you nutrition we dont' always get when having an attack(i know i stop eating when i'm really sick)

·
Registered
265 Posts
My wife is 5th generation Japanese from LA, and I am a whitie ******* from the Mtns of NC. Overwatered and overcooked J rice is called okai(sp), which her family claims cures all types of ills. I've tried it with no effect on IBS. My mother-in-law swears by green tea (my wife's granny said it melted the fat after a meal) and ginger, which she uses for motion sickness with no side effects, like drugs do. Ginger's horn is always tooted for helping digestive problems. The ginger is the pink mound in the bottom of the picture (to the right of the lite green wasabi): tastes good and kind of zippy, but feels good on a full stomach and cleans the palate.
I've tried most of the J cure-alls since I eat them as a normal part of my diet, along with good old American food. The only thing that is good about J food and IBS is that it is very lite eating, and doesn't sit as heavy in your stomach.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.