Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious, when those of you who do drink do it1) What do you drink?-I usually go with a. white wine b. vodka and cranbury juicec. vodka sourd. gin and ginger aleI'm kinda tired of these though, and was wondering if there were any other relatively safe IBS drinks.Wine and being a guy ain't a good mix usually!

·
Registered
57 Posts
usually beer does me (either carlsberg or fosters)if i touch the likes of vodka, white cider etc i be running to the toilet a lot, cider tends to make me feel gassy, vodka would run the arse off me because of the high alcohol content compared to the likes of beerbuckfast is another killer for me, makes my anxiety worse, me and caffeine don't mix too wellthe smell that comes off me when passing gas after drinking certain drinks is foul, i've had comments from people in the past saying "wtf are you at? did you sh*t yourself?" people backing away from me making disgusted faces (some times even sniggering off people), i hate being in that position feeling like ####, people being friendly when there's no smell then their attitudes change when the ibs decides to wreck the nighti drink once a month now, used to drink every weekend until i got ibs, now ibs has put me off drinking too much

·
Registered
317 Posts
I honestly don't think that the type of alcohol matters but the quantity. I cannot drink beer by the way and I am really amazed it is working for you, cause generally beer should cause more bowel problems than any other alcoholic drink, even to people without IBS. Anyway...I was saying, if I have a glass or two or wine or whatever I am fine but if I go over that it messes my bowels for a few days and what is really weird is that I don't have the effects right away, not even the next day but in 2 days time. Then it goes away...but it became frustrating for me. I am young, I go out with my friends and I stay there staring at my glass wondering how much do I want to have fun versus how much do I want gas and D for a couple of days. I know alcohol is a luxury product so to say and nobody feels any compassion when you say uh uh I cannot drink but for a young person it can make a difference in your social life. I used to be quite a part girl LOL. Ah and ...now that my wedding is coming I am scared like hell that I will have to drink champagne with those people....cause champagne really really gives me HUGE problems.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Personally, I don't really drink all that much anymore. Part of this is due to the IBS and part just to my own personal preferences.Beer absolutely kills me. I cannot drink even one beer without some sort of distress afterwards. Mixed drinks are not much better, although I seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of whiskey (I don't really like or drink any other liquor besides, so can't say about anything else). I think the mixer is probably worse than the actual alcohol since sugary stuff (soda, etc) does a number on me, with or without alcohol involved.The one drink that I seem to be able to take without too many repercussions is wine. I can drink 1-2 glasses of white or red and it doesn't seem to bother me. I agree with TanaG about the quantity though: anything more than a couple of glasses and it usually takes 2-3 days for my body to "recover".

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used to be able to drink like a fish. Not anymore though. More than 2-3 beers and i'm ill for days. It seems to be a major trigger for whatever i'm suffering from. I no longer think i have IBS as i don't have typical symptoms. I either have hypersensitive gut nerves or biliary dyskenesia.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Beer has yeast so it bothers me alot. Wine has nitrates so they do too. I just found something called Sparkletini, it is raspberry asto spumonti and it is so mild and yet refreshing and relaxes me. There must be so little nitrate that it is not bothering me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I drink beer but it is the worst for IBS,I avoid cans and stick to bottled beers but they are slightly better for me.I find wine is ok although I dont drink it much and Whisky is quite good on my bowel considering.I've been to Germany a few times and find I can tolerate their beer a lot better,despite hops and yeast still being used,maybe its the abscence of so many chemicals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
its about getting lightly drunk too forget symptoms i reccommend vodka as it will lossen you up quicker than beer, a few shots of clean vodka and few beers works well. dont drink too much diorehha maybe an issue next day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.