Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about all of you, but I often have trouble getting myself to drink enough water. I recently discovered a trick that works for me, so I thought I'd pass it on...1. The key is starting early in the morning, preferably when you first wake up, even when you are not completely awake. This is the critical part for me, because once I'm fully awake, I'm usually thinking about all the stuff I have to get done and I get distracted. If I'm still half asleep on the other hand, then all I have to do is tell myself, "Your job is to drink." With some luck I can down 4 full cups before I take a shower.2. In preparation, you'll need to get yourself some nice herbal tea (preferably loose tea), a cup you like drinking out of, a strainer, and some honey and/or lemon (optional). I've been drinking a combination of chamomile and peppermint tea, which my stomach seems to like. Ginger tea and dandelion tea also.3. Put a pot of water on your stove, not a tea kettle, a regular pot. It should be big enough to hold 1.5 to 2 liters (6-8 cups) of water. Fill it to the top and boil the water.3. When it's done boiling, add your loose tea directly into the pot and let it steep.4. Strain the tea by pouring it through your strainer into your nice cup and start drinking -- as much as possible. Whatever tea you are not able to drink right then can be put into a thermos or a jar to be stored in the fridge for later in the day. That way you also know how much you've had to drink in the day, and you have a concrete reminder of how much more you have to go. Personally, I would not carry the tea over from day to day, but rather make it fresh. Using good quality water is also important. As mentioned, I try to get as much water/tea down as I can before I really start my day. For me it just doesn't seem as difficult to drink a lot when I first wake up as it does later in the day. I'm half asleep through most of it anyway. And then I have this feeling of accomplishment -- as in: it's 8am and I've already had over half my liquid intake for the day! I've gotten that out of the way. Also, having to pee more often in the morning doesn't bother me so much, but by afternoon or evening, never mind nighttime, it feels like more of an interruption.Ironically -- or maybe not, maybe someone else has some info on this? -- if I drink a lot of water and/or herbal tea in a day, I tend to have less D. Hope this helps someone out there. It has helped me feel a bit better.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.