Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm ibs-v (v for varying
). I like to drink with friends every now and then, but I drinking pretty much means I lock myself in the house for the better part of the next day. I read that rum is made from molasses, rather than from malted this or malted that. Do you think that might mean I'd have a better chance with rum than I usually do with beer or drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade? Any other alcohol related info (what you've found to be ok, what you tend to stay away from) would be great too! Thanks!Confused in Connecticut

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well, all I can tell you, back when I used to go out with my friends it seemed that no matter what I drank, I was sicker than a dog the entire next day with IBS (D big time). I don't know about the rum, but, I have found that I have to avoid any and all alcohol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rum is made from sugar cane which is turned into a type of molasses it is extremely high in sugar which may agrevate along with the alcohol. It happens to be my fav. I love the coconut rum and the lime rum that I got in Barbados. I mix them with orange juice and I can only have one or I get d big time. Drinking alot of water when you are out with friends would help you not to become dehydrated which goes along with alcohol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm not sure about Rum but I can usually have a glass (or 2) of white wine with no problem .It's not too sweet. I like Pinot Grigios,very mild. Once in a while I can have a wine cooler or hard lemonade but they are high in sugars and are fizzy,sometimes act like a laxative for me.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Ahhh. Nothing as idyllic as cool moonlit night on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. A RumRunner in my right, big bowl of Immodium on theleft. Sip 'n' Pop, Sip 'n' Pop. It ain't "Margueritaville"...buts it's damn close for IBS!Night yall

·
Registered
927 Posts
I tried my new rum supplement containing all the essential vitamins and minerals of molasses. Although for some reason I didn't quite feel as good the next morning? I though molasses is so good for you that I should drink 3/4 of a 40oz of Coruba with friends. That way I could get my nutrition for the whole week. Being healthy makes me throw up in the bathroom, feel very dehydrated and very frail.I don't like this healthy approach, drinking rum all the time and who is this in my bed?ScottySwotty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had some giner wine last night - and it was fab!i was having a bad ibs day feeling bloated and uncomfortable and kept needing to go... oh it was nasty - sat hugging a hot water bottle most of the evening - then an old old friend called and i settled down to chat about old university days and fixed myself a nice whisky mac (whisky and ginger wine) mostly mac mind you! And i siped this and had a ciggie for old times sake while on the phone... and do you know... all the tummy pain went away! I felt much much better!!!no one was more surprised than i?!?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Booze (any knid) is my absolute worst IBS downfall. I thought that because I have stared taking Calcium pills for D that I could pop some Immodium and party hard at a rehearsal dinner Fri night. Wrong move..at the church on Sat I was planning my escape to the church bathroom throughout the entire ceremony. Luckily, I held out until the reception but felt like utter #### the entire time. All I could think about was my burning intestines. So much so that I went back to the hotel early. It is a real drag not to drink with my overindulgent friends and family but it's really not worth the price, especially when I am at a wedding out of town. It has taken me 10 years (I'm 30 now) to finally admit that I can't drink like everyone else I know. Most of the time, i just nurse a beer or two with minimal side effects. Anything harder is a surefire invitation to major amounts of D...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts