Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I would like to thank the people who emailed replies to my messages yesterday it helped very much. Today I went to Dr again about constant tummy pains and spasms which are like strong period pains he gave a rectal examination (not pleasant) and suggested I went for a camera examination up the back passage, as I feels its not IBS but inflamation of the bowel, he described it as like tonsilitas of the throat but in the bowel as I have been like this since I contracted food poisoning in April this year, Prawns and mayo, I did it classic!Can anyone comment here if they have had this examination, is it painful? etc, anyone had information of the bowel too?hope to hear your comments and it helps others too as its becoming an obsession, one dare not go out!Thanks, Samantha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like he wants you to do a colonoscopy. If you check out the section "diagnositc tests" a lot of people have quesitons about it. The prep work is the hardest part because it takes up your day before and clearing out your system with laxitives. The test itself they drug you up so much you don't remember it. From what I see a lot of people on the board have had this test, myself included.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like he wants you to do a colonoscopy. If you check out the section "diagnositc tests" a lot of people have quesitons about it. The prep work is the hardest part because it takes up your day before and clearing out your system with laxitives. The test itself they drug you up so much you don't remember it. From what I see a lot of people on the board have had this test, myself included.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Sam,I had a colonoscopy last year at a BMI hospital in the UK. The colonoscopy itself was totally pain-free , you have nothing to worry about at all. The prep is not a big deal - although mine was vanilla flavour (which I hate).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Sam,I had a colonoscopy last year at a BMI hospital in the UK. The colonoscopy itself was totally pain-free , you have nothing to worry about at all. The prep is not a big deal - although mine was vanilla flavour (which I hate).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually people find the prep more obnoxious than the test itself.IBS can start from a bout of food poisoning, and if it is that when they check you out there won't be inflamation. But they probably should take a look-see to figure out what is going on.The amount/description of pain from IBS and Inflamatory Bowel Diseases can overlap a lot, so that pain isn't always a good diagnositic tool. Pain is a major symptom of IBS.In IBS the pain seems to be a result of the inflamation during the GI infection, but lasts past the infection/inflamation period. What happens is that the inflamation damages normal cells as well as the infected cells/bacteria/virus, etc. If it damages enough nerves, and the nerves do not recover one of the problems is that you sense pain that you should not be sensing.Kinda like when I accidently nearly cut a finger tip off. I cut the nerve and the tip was very numb for quite a while. THEN the nerve grew back and any touch to the finger for a couple of days was very very painful until it got enough feedback from the system to tell it to knock it off. I think that the feedback to tell the nerves of the gut they are over-reacting isn't as good, but I feel the Cog. Behav. Therapy I did may have allowed me to give the gut nerves that feedback and the pain greatly reduced.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually people find the prep more obnoxious than the test itself.IBS can start from a bout of food poisoning, and if it is that when they check you out there won't be inflamation. But they probably should take a look-see to figure out what is going on.The amount/description of pain from IBS and Inflamatory Bowel Diseases can overlap a lot, so that pain isn't always a good diagnositic tool. Pain is a major symptom of IBS.In IBS the pain seems to be a result of the inflamation during the GI infection, but lasts past the infection/inflamation period. What happens is that the inflamation damages normal cells as well as the infected cells/bacteria/virus, etc. If it damages enough nerves, and the nerves do not recover one of the problems is that you sense pain that you should not be sensing.Kinda like when I accidently nearly cut a finger tip off. I cut the nerve and the tip was very numb for quite a while. THEN the nerve grew back and any touch to the finger for a couple of days was very very painful until it got enough feedback from the system to tell it to knock it off. I think that the feedback to tell the nerves of the gut they are over-reacting isn't as good, but I feel the Cog. Behav. Therapy I did may have allowed me to give the gut nerves that feedback and the pain greatly reduced.K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my first colonoscopy on wednesday. I was really worried about it but hell I dont remember anything. The hardest part was the laxitive that you have to take the day before. Dont plan on going back to work after the procedure though. I am young and they told me they gave me more drugs becuase I was young(24). I came home at 10 am and was crashed out until 4pm. The funniest part about the whole thing though is the recovery room. I mean its not funny but I was in a room with about 5 other people who had the same procedure and all you heard was people passing air the whole time. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my first colonoscopy on wednesday. I was really worried about it but hell I dont remember anything. The hardest part was the laxitive that you have to take the day before. Dont plan on going back to work after the procedure though. I am young and they told me they gave me more drugs becuase I was young(24). I came home at 10 am and was crashed out until 4pm. The funniest part about the whole thing though is the recovery room. I mean its not funny but I was in a room with about 5 other people who had the same procedure and all you heard was people passing air the whole time. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.